Google Plus One

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Wallypot :-)

@KC Google + and Google +1 - Isn't Google +1 going to show a recommendation to your circles in Google +
The (plus) button allows users to recommend search results or advertisements they like while using Google. The service was given more relevance on June 28 with the launch of Google+, a social network that allows shared links to videos and photos, and allows users to point to “+1″ content.
My brain hurts ....
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

My brain hurts, too!

As I understand it, the +1 button simply enables us to say we like something, whether it be a post within Google+ or a link on a website or whatever.

No doubt Google will use this is some way or other to help deliver better search results, better relevancy in people's Google+ feeds or better relevancy in searches for other Google+ users. I just hope they don't place too much emphasis on it, or else no doubt it will get abused and we'll have people across India being paid to +1 stuff.

(I think that makes sense.)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
lorca

Post by lorca »

kendalcottages wrote:My brain hurts, too!

As I understand it, the +1 button simply enables us to say we like something, whether it be a post within Google+ or a link on a website or whatever.

No doubt Google will use this is some way or other to help deliver better search results, better relevancy in people's Google+ feeds or better relevancy in searches for other Google+ users. I just hope they don't place too much emphasis on it, or else no doubt it will get abused and we'll have people across India being paid to +1 stuff.

(I think that makes sense.)
My brain hurts three :?

I´m sure it´ll make sense at some point....But TBH I´m a bit sick of Google changing my search terms at the moment (have to watch it like a hawk). I do a lot of research on the internet and I really don´t want them interfering with my search results as well. But I´ve probably got hold of the wrong end of the stick (again).......
If not now, when?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Looks like it's been another Google Wave - anyone disagree?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Google+ or Google +1...? :)

I think Google+ has made far greater inroads than Google Wave ever did, but it doesn't seem to have made a significant dent on Facebook (or Twitter), despite the initial hype.

I must confess I'm not using it all that much myself, but I am seeing some profiles with tens of thousands of followers particularly, interestingly, some photographers I follow. It's as if Google+ caters for certain niches such as photography, just like MySpace seemed to cater for the music industry.

For a select few - people such as Trey Ratcliff ( https://plus.google.com/105237212888595777019/posts ) - Google+ appears to have really given them a big lift. He's managed to get into more than 100,000 circles in a matter of a couple of months whilst on Twitter he's "only" amassed 25,000 in a matter of years...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
gam

Post by gam »

By reputation, Google doesn't like to fail twice so after Wave I suspect Google+ will get a lot of effort put into it.

The Google +1 thing is a bit of a worry if it becomes a significant factor in site ranking. Would Google be that daft? As referred to earlier in the thread,, the potential for abuse is enormous - so much easier and less visible than link schemes.

Does being in 100,000 circles mean that 100,000 individuals have "added as a friend"? That's astonishing for a non celeb. I loathe celeb culture so find it heartwarming that someone with real actual talent can be recognised in that way.
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
gam

Post by gam »

In case anyone's not noticed (and cares), Google+ ceased to be invite only a couple of days ago so it's easy to join.

Just done so myself which means at the moment I'm "Billy no-mates". If anyone would like me to add them to my circle (?) or vice versa, let me know :lol:
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Gam that'd be lovely as I'm Wally 1 mate!
gam

Post by gam »

Done :)
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I'm happy to add anyone on here (or be added).

I'm http://gplus.to/luxurytravel if you want to look me up...
gam

Post by gam »

Thanks - that's the first decent Google+ page(?) I've seen so far. Looks like you're really making it work for you.

Are you seeing much value from it yet?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I too have joined via notgoogleplus

Try it for free !

Its quite liberating.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Wish to God I understood all this. My brain hurts just reading it!
Windy

Post by Windy »

I love that link Richard :-)