Accepting funds from UK based customers

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
wingman

Accepting funds from UK based customers

Post by wingman »

Can anybody give me suggestions on accepting payments from English customers as our only bank account is in France. We have been using wire transfers, but most of our customers are from the UK, and would prefer to transfer funds to a UK account.
Bertrand and Marguerite Masson
www.chateaudemeouilles.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, wingman. Image

There has been quite a lot of discussion of this - have a look through the topics under 'Bookings' and 'Managing your property'.

But basically they have to do what you tell them to! If you don't have a UK bank account they will have to either get a euro cheque, organise a wire transfer, or use an online payment system like PayPal. I think Alan has pointed out elsewhere that he can bank sterling cheques in France but at a cost.

I would not give full details of payment until they are sure they want to stay at your house - then the payment method, though a little inconvenient, will not change their minds.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had a similar probelm recently but the guy was French. I have both French and English accounts and he wanted to pay me in Sterling. He work part-time in the UK, so sent me an English cheque for the deposit. He then changed his mind when the balance was due, and wanted to pay in euros. He eventually paid by transfer and all was fine, but I have to return the damage deposit with a sterling cheque. I will be firmer in the future and only accept payment in euros by paypal or bank transfer.
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

Open a UK account with internet banking surely, move it on to your French one as anw when, I use xe.com, good service

you welcome to use one of my accounts if you're stuck

:wink:
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Open a UK account with internet banking
I thought UK banks would only allow UK residents to open UK bank accounts?? Especially after 9/11 and all that???
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?