Attachments in Mac Mail

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
greenbarn

Attachments in Mac Mail

Post by greenbarn »

It's a fairly common problem: you send an email from your Mac with some photos attached, and they are embedded in the body. The recipient, using a wheezy Windows PC, can't find the attachments. I hit this again yesterday trying to send some new photos for inclusion on a startup listing site, and having done the quick and dirty fix of sending the lot as a zip file I spent a bit of time researching.

Halleloooooyah! Attachment Tamer!

Tried it, it seems to do the job. Free to download and try. Could be worth a look.
Windy

Post by Windy »

As a new Mac user I can't avoid the feeling that I'm like the man who says "it's not me that's mad - it's you lot". For a computer that "just works" it sure needs a bloody lot of help IMHO :lol:

I don't use Mac Mail because even the appalling Office 2011 implementation of Outlook for Mac is better at dealing with multiple mail accounts that it is. I am quite disappointed by the dozen steps backward I have been forced to take from Outlook for Windows and God knows that wasn't exactly user friendly at times.

Ok some of my problem is due to lack of familiarity, but Lord knows why they can't put together an email / calendar /contact manager / pda thing that works for people's lives out here in the real world. You know maybe something like Lotus Organiser from the late 90s - that would do!

Rant Over - thanks for the link - it will be useful if i ever decide to play with Mac Mail again.
Giddy Goat

Re: Attachments in Mac Mail

Post by Giddy Goat »

Greenbarn wrote:The recipient, using a wheezy Windows PC, can't find the attachments.
:? Unless my recipients are tactfully not telling me that they haven't received our attachments, or all of them are Mac users, we haven't come across this problem!

As for using Macmail when abroad (me.com,) don't get me started!! :evil:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
e-richard

Re: Attachments in Mac Mail

Post by e-richard »

Giddy Goat wrote:
Greenbarn wrote:The recipient, using a wheezy Windows PC, can't find the attachments.
:? Unless my recipients are tactfully not telling me that they haven't received our attachments, or all of them are Mac users, we haven't come across this problem!
When you carefully compose an email on a Mac with embedded pikkies like this:

Here is pic1:
[picture1]

Here is pic2:
[picture2]

The poor PC recipient DOES receive them, but the email looks like this:

Here is pic1:
Here is pic2

And the pictures are simply sent as attachments with their original filenames, which may not be related to the captions. So it kind takes some guesswork, but they do make it thru..... :cry:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I've hit the issue a couple of times when sending pix to listing sites. I have the various options set correctly in Mac Mail (send as Windows or something, plain text etc etc) but I get a reply saying they can't find the attachments. I suspect they're there if you look, but it's a whole lot simpler to send them in a form that doesn't require a degree in thinking at the recipient's end.

When I Googled for a solution it came up as a fairly common problem.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Not quite Richard
When you carefully compose an email on a Mac with embedded pikkies like this:

Here is pic1:
[picture1]

Here is pic2:
if you use Outlook it sends the pictures embedded as expected.

I think your scenario is what happens with that awful Mac Mail programme . :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Oooh, err, its all too complicated for me !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !