Wanadoo mail accounts

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
alexia s.

Wanadoo mail accounts

Post by alexia s. »

I went to a FT office yesterday with a question about my mail account. The assistant asked my telephone number & then proceeded to print a sheet with all my secret information on it: the connection identifying code & password as well as the password for my mail account. This must mean that anyone with access to a FT computer can get the codes for customers' e-mail accounts - and then access them.
Don't ask me why anyone at FT would use this information - it's the principle that shocks me.
Am I the only one to be surprised by this?
Is it the case with BT in the UK?
Best,
Alexia.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alexia,
I don't know, but don't bank employees have similar access to our bank accounts? I know that when I phone the FT service line previously if I needed a password for my e-mail account, they will never give details over the phone, they will only fax it to the telephone number. The tel number seems to be the only proof of ID they require.
Not the shortest thread anymore!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Bank employees do not have access to pin numbers. For internet banking the password is never asked for in full, it is always what is the 1st 5th and 9th letter (for example).

That said, I don't supposed anyone can do as much harm with your internet connection as they could with your bank details.

Ju