HTML5 - any views?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Beanie

HTML5 - any views?

Post by Beanie »

Do any of you techy experts have any opinion (positive or negative) on HTML5?

We're being advised by a website designer to have our new company website designed using this and I'd appreciate any views. I had read that certain browsers may not be fully compatible as yet, as it's so new.

Thanks
Beanie
Martha

Post by Martha »

You can use it, but you need to be very sure that it degrades OK in older browsers. i.e. you might, for instance, have a slideshow that is very elegant in html 5, but sill OK for older browsers, just losing some elements.

Personally I decided it's not worth it. I don't think people wanting to book a holiday are that bothered about the site being the absolute latest, and you're more likely to lose a few bookings though it not working properly, than gain a few because it looks so amazing - and you can do an awful lot with regular html these days, anyway.

I did consider an html5 theme for my site, as I found a really nice one, and it does give you the ability to do some really lovely detailing, but looking at my stats shows that there are still are significant amount of people accessing the site on older browsers.

Sorry, I did get your message about designers and I was thinking of some names to send you, but no-one came to mind and then I forgot to email you back...sorry about that :oops:

Anyway my advice would be to avoid it, but keep an eye on your statistics. It may well be that, a year or so down the road, enough people have better browsers to enable you to add some of the elements without concern.

What are the reasons they want to use it?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
CSE

Post by CSE »

The positive things are that you can embed video and use less flash files. Things like navigation buttons and other presentation tricks are easier or can be used for the first time.
The non use of flash is great for those who read your website on a mobile device. (maybe even an iPad, but someone can correct me on that).
Disadvantage is the older browsers will miss out on some of this presentation. However with the likes of Youtube and other major players not supporting these then the use of them is less likely. Beside there is always a scrutiny issue with older browsers and everyone should upgrade to something a bit newer.
If you are planning to rewrite your website then my suggestion is to write it in HTM5 so as to save upgrading yet again.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Very interesting opinions there and lots to cogitate on - thanks.

Martha - it's not for a chalet biz - but my interior design company so we need to have it very image-rich and look rather slick but I really want to avoid gimmicky or have too much going on. Just adding some dynamism whilst avoiding Flash (in order to be searchable) is what I'm after.

Casanteostevo - it can certainly be viewed on Ipads which is one of my prerequisites with the design. Many of our clients use them and I'm doing more and more presentations on mine, so this was a requirement to the designer to ensure it was Ipad friendly. She also felt the navigation options were wider in HTML5.

Know what you mean about older browsers. Do you happen to know which earlier versions of IE don't tend to like HTML5?

Obviously keen to make it as future-proof as possible and for it to look as state-of-the-art as possible, given the industry I'm in.

ATB
B.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Older browsers… I love Classic cars they look great and usually have that certain air about them. However for everyday us I much prefer a new car with airbags, seatbelts ABS etc on it. It is just so much secure. The same goes for my browser! New is secure.

RE suitable older browsers:
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/ ... ome-frame/
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html- ... -even-ie6/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I think for your interior design business, I'd definitely consider it - different target market, much more likely to have newer browsers, better computers etc etc. Make sure it degrades OK on older browsers and you should be fine :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Many thanks Ian, Irene & Martha.

I'll take a look at those links too I&I.

ATB
B.