Does anyone else have this problem?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I'm still perplexed. It waqsn't just Brenda that said she didn't mention booking in response to an enquiry. My assumption is that when people enquire they are at least thinking about booking and so it's reasonable on my part to tell them how to.

But I don't send chase-up e-mails as a rule; only if someone has sounded keen and then someone else asks after the same dates very soon after.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I mention booking too, and follow up if they seemed keen, mentioned booking or I spent a long time answering questions. Sometimes I know that following up has got me the booking over others.

My usual response is to confirm the periods availability etc. and then try and engage them by asking if they've been before which allows me to offer to provide more info to help them decide if our place is right for their holiday.
I then say if they decide to go ahead then the deposit would be xyz payable by blah blah blah.

You've got to take them to the next stage as far as I'm concerned...and that is either more info or booking; what else would they want?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What I meant was I don't assume an enquiry is a booking - i.e. I don't send through a booking form or other information with the reply, but just confirm availability and say that if they want to book or want any additional info, to contact me.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I know what Brenda means and I think I do the same. If they have enquired from an outside booking site, I send them a link to our web page and mention that they will find there details of the area blah blah and in amongst that is mention of the booking form. Plus of course answering all the questions they have asked. That is as far as I go. I don't even mention booking at all when I chase - just that I hope they got my response and can I help with any more information. I don't think that people only enquire because they are thinking of booking - I think those are the exception. I only take them on to the next stage (fill in booking form, make payment), once they have said they want to book. I agree that it doesn't sound very pro active but I guess it works because our conversion rate is almost 50% this year.

I think mentioning booking first, when the enquirer has not done so specifically, can imply that your main interest is in raking in the money? Maybe not.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well then I think we're on the same wave length, basically. Just a misunderstanding - so easy on an e-mail.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think mentioning booking first, when the enquirer has not done so specifically, can imply that your main interest is in raking in the money? Maybe not.
We will all take the approach that feels comfortable to us, so there's no right or wrong, but it's interesting to see how many people feel that mentioning the 'b' word can come across as desperate/money grabbing to the client. Does it?

Why does someone enquire? Presumably to check out various facts already seen on the website and perhaps to check some that aren't...but at that point they're interested. You've got to hook them in.

We usually have an incentive; at the moment it's book for only 10% deposit. Previous years I've always offered free a/c. So I will always mention that; 'if you book now you can do so for only 10% deposit/have free a/c etc'.

No other place on Ibiza offers 10% deposit bookings (I do it for early bookings upto December and then default back to 50%).
I now have 5 weeks booked for next year (only 1 week a repeat), no one else even has their summer 2012 prices up...so I feel it works.

You will always get the ones who disappear after enquiring, but I don't think you would ever put any off by mentioning the booking stage, and you might just gain the edge (as opposed to another owner who hasn't mentioned it and so they have to send yet another email to find out about it all).

Interesting discussion.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Yes it is interesting, and we all have different variations on the same theme I think. I do answer quickly and say if the dates are available. Then if more interest is shown, I ask them if they'd like me to send a booking form.
After that I keep an eye on things, as you can be waiting a while for nothing to happen.
I did ring someone last week who said they were definitely booking as Id had another enquiry for both houses...lucky I did, as she said weve decided not to go ahead, and the second people booked straight away. But its not something I usually do.

Dont feel bad Kaz, I get lots of enquiries that go nowhere and maybe one in five answer saying'' thanks but weve found somewhere else.'' I always thank them and say hope you have a nice holiday. You get used to it, dont take it personally. :)

Some people dont even get enquiries, now that would be upsetting.......
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I've tried all combinations of first reply - with and without booking forms, short and cryptic, long and descriptive and frnakly I don;t think it makes much difference. Some are window shopping, some wish to go ahead.

What I do think is important is to be very clear on what the next step is - however you approach it.

Tangentially, and for amusement only - to prove that it takes all sorts of guests to send enquiries:
I received an enquiry this morning for my 2 bedroom (sleeps 4) apartment advertised on H-R with bang up to date calendar for a party of 7 in August ! Grrr. Counted slowly back from 10 to 1 and replied with a very simple and polite "Sorry full up, but enjoy your holiday". Within 5 mins I received an email with just a simple "thank you!".
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

cud u plz give price 4 above dates plz
thank u
Im betting you never get one like this, that I got today, Richard? :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Oh goodness, that would be like a red rag to a bull for me!
Sorry, u r 2 l8
or something like that (I'm so sad/old fashioned that I even write full messages when texting)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

la vache! wrote:Oh goodness, that would be like a red rag to a bull for me!
Sorry, u r 2 l8
I think I'd prefer to say:
"Sorry, I am unable to help you."
and click send.
:wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

That's much better e-R, otherwise I suppose you are encouraging it.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I don't mind if I get txt spk enquiries... their money is as gud as ne1 else's. :lol: I'm selling beds, not English lessons. :wink:
Martha

Post by Martha »

I don't expect people to get back to me, they are often making lots of enquiries. I do have quite a few people who enquire more than once over the years so I think it's worth sending a carefully thought out email. Lots of people remember, even though they don't reply.

I agree that a "next steps" message is handy, just so people know what to expect. People did quite often ask what the next stage is, what's the deposit, when't the balance due, what are the cancellation terms etc - so rather than get into the detail of bank transfers etc, which (possibly wrongly) I do feel is a bit pushy in an initial enquiry, I just link to them:

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/booking/booking-process

This does get accessed quite a lot so I think it is useful.

If I'm offering an incentive, I definitely put it in the email, like Mouse, and if they are dates I'm particularly keen to sell I'll offer a deal.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

""We adjust our website continuously to reflect questions from enquirers and comments by guests and I believe this has helped our conversion rate to rise.""

Margaret, liked that, thank you.
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179