Problem with email attachments on a PC with XP

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Jimbo

Problem with email attachments on a PC with XP

Post by Jimbo »

Anon said:
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

Sorry, I'm being dim, but I can't figure out the solution. Suddenly, all my jpeg attachments, sent with emails to Outlook, are being routed, when I click on them, to Word which doesn't want anything to do with them. Previously, they were routed to and opened up in Photoshop.

I must be able to change this but I can't work out what to do and I can't work out why it's happened. It's been a long week, so it's probably me, but can anybody help?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

it's a while since I used XP, but try right clicking and see if you get the option to "open with"
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

oh and file associations are set with Control Panel :)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi TP. No, only offers 'open' which takes me directly to Word. I can save the file elsewhere and open in Photoshop but that's a bit of a rigmarole. Checked Control Panel but cannot see where attachments feature. Time for a beer!

Jim
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

then it has to be something within Outlook that's set incorrectly, and I've not used that for years I'm afraid :(
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I used to get problems with Outlook that seemed to have a Word fixation. Running the detect and repair option on the help menu always solved it for me, have you tried that Jim? I've converted to gmail now, much more attachment friendly!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I believe that you can force the "Open With..." option to appear upon right-clicking by holding down the shift key. Once there, you can check a box to make your choice the default. You may have to do this within the Explorer window (to bring one up, press the start menu button + E on your keyboard) rather than Outlook.

However, I haven't used Windows in a long time, so this may no longer be true.
Brooke
Marks

Post by Marks »

Try saving the jpeg to your desktop, right click, select open with, choose program and make sure the box next to 'always use this program to open this type of file' is checked. Then try and open the attachment from within your email.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

That's done it, Marks. Many thanks to you and to others for taking time and trouble to make suggestions. Once again the windows beast has been put to the sword but for how long?

Just off to open up a few jpegs ...

Jim