Should I be panicking yet?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Clive in Abruzzo

Post by Clive in Abruzzo »

Hi johnel,
I thought your idea a good one and so I've just had a sneaky look at my nearest competitors bookings - I wish I hadn't now. Fully booked for summer - I have to hand it to them though, a superb product excellently presented. Oh well at least there's still time for potential clients to hopefully look elsewhere.

Still can't complain, we've booked 7 weeks so far. We only starting out last May and so I'm interested to see how the year-start bookings develop.

It's snowing like Billy outside but we don't mind because we returned from spending Christmas in the UK to a warm house. The central heating has finally been installed and commissioned. Hooray!

Best wishes to everyone and here's to a peaceful and bookedful New Year. :D
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for being optimistic!
Put the phrase "villa rental costa blanca" in double quotes to search only for the exact phrase and there are 929 pages. Search for pages that include the phrase in their Title tag - i.e. the page is deliberately optimised for that phrase - and you are down to 131. Still quite a lot, but manageable!
Unfortunately, www.holiday-rentals.com have 1590 properties advertised for CB and that is only 1 listing.

Can you explain how you search for the Title tag words, sorry I am a bit dim :oops:

Un saludo,
Maria
paolo

Post by paolo »

Maria,

To find sites by what is in their Title tag, you type into Google, for example:

allintitle:villa rentals costa blanca

This gives you all Titles that have all those words in any order, and with other words in between.

Or:

allintitle:"villa rentals costa blanca"

This gives you Titles with that phrase in that order and no other words in between.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
gh

Post by gh »

Clive in Abruzzo wrote: Oh well at least there's still time for potential clients to hopefully look elsewhere.

And elsewhere could be yours as there's is booked :wink:
gh

Post by gh »

Hi CLive,
Just noticed that your place is at Lake Como, :roll: beautiful part of Italy. We had a holiday many years ago at Lago Maggiore, a small place north of Stresa called Baveno. Do you know it? Bliss, we went in Sept and it was peaceful delightfully warm and not that known then, wonder what its like now, shall remember that trip for ever. My in-laws are Italian from Campobasso they still have a family home there so we can get a taste of Italy now and again. We have found that France like Italy love children and are very family orientated.

Sorry to disrupt the thread please allow for my reminiscence's.

Ciao Helen
Clive in Abruzzo

Post by Clive in Abruzzo »

Hi Helen,
I've been to Lake Como and enjoyed the area immensely, but I don't live there. I live in central Abruzzo not to far from Lake Scanno. Not as big or glamorous as Lake Como but very beautiful none the less.

Hope you liked the website.

Ciao for now, Clive. :D
gh

Post by gh »

Yes I do, that's what made me look at your details more closely.
Anyone who know's that part of Italy can feel it from the pictures and those who don't would want to.

Kind Regards
Helen
stefanaccio

Works for me

Post by stefanaccio »

Am using Firefox and was able to access all of the parts of your site. Think you just need to be patient.
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

As mentioned above your images perhaps need some work (some love in photoshop with a sharpening filter).

Perhaps consider some panoramas of the locations you describe in your area section. Or perhaps google local maps. Just to get a feel of the attractions that may tempt potential bookers into renting your property...

Dave
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Interest seems to have completely dried up, although I am still getting loads of hits on my availability calendar. Despite new listings and special prices, and an ebay listing, there hasn't even been one enquiry.
A-two

Post by A-two »

HelenB wrote:Interest seems to have completely dried up, although I am still getting loads of hits on my availability calendar. Despite new listings and special prices, and an ebay listing, there hasn't even been one enquiry.
Helen,
Perhaps this idea is too obvious, but did you think about changing the title on your home page from "Ski Apartment" to something like "Ski Apartment and Summer Retreat" I'm sure you and our expert copy writers could think of a more imaginative title to grab attention, but at this point, I think you may need to do more tweaking to change it's image into something more appealing for summer visitors. Otherwise folks may feel they are booking the right place at the wrong time of year.

I'd also be tempted to split the home page into two - "click here for winter skiing" and "click here for summer activities" or similar wording, rather than featuring either summer or winter on the home page. You need both, or your summer photo could be sending a negative to those looking for next winter's ski season right now.

The summer photo on the home page is lovely, but it's of a ski lift, and I think the main summer one ought to reflect an activity they can do rather than one they can't do, so I would go for a hiking trail, or the river where they can kayak and canoe and some close up shots of beautiful wild flowers that I know you have in summer.

Using this logic, I think your home page needs both snow and summer flowers/ kayakers, side by side, with equal prominence, and relevant copy under each, then for more information, click the menu bar on the left.

One other comment, and I don't mean to be over critical, only trying to help, but as you know, I was interested in your eBay ad, and quite surprised and a little disappointed when I checked it out. You had the bare minimum of information, like 3 sentences, few keywords and only two photos, one of which was a tiny winter snow scene. It didn't show me that you cared about renting your place and your guests, which was a shame because I know you care a great deal.

The cost for me to put a vacation rental ad on eBay seems to be $100 minimum, so I haven't tried one yet, but I have been trading on Ebay for many years and know it quite well. You need 6 supersize photos to sell a $5 lipstick, let alone a vacation rental.

I think on the European side, you're not paying anything like our costs here in NY, and can run a travel ad for around $10, but whatever it costs you, it's worth putting time into the presentation, trying to recreate a real feel of the place as you have on your own website. You need to pack it with keywords so it will draw people to your ad thru the keyword searches. Those that do find it are not going to check out your website if the ad doesn't grab them and the domain name is not even clickable.

eBay browsers like to stay on ebay, going from ad to ad, so they are not going to click away unless you have already sold to them using the ad itself.

eBay has some reasonably simple and stylish design templates, but here's an example of a property ad I came across recently that is quite bland, but sets the bar quite high in terms of interest and packing rich content onto a page. Check out Item# 4458399066 . I don't see any reason why we couldn't do something like this (or even better) for our place. If only I knew how!

I would be very interested in a thread in the tech section on how it's done if anyone is tempted to start one and would like to bet that the first one of us to run an eBay ad for 10 days of this calibre would definitely get some serious inquiries out of it!

P.S Clive, I love your website, really vibrant.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Joanna, the photo is actually the view from the apartment terrace, and the ski lift opens for Summer. I agree re the ebay comments, I rushed it and didn't think about it. Everything i've sold has previously gone with minimum effort. Time is my problem, as I have to work full-time over the summer. Hubby complains about the time I spend on the computer as it is. I thought about changing the template for the summer website too, but decided i preferred it's familiar look. Ah well, one page at a time i suppose. I suppose i knew really what needed doing.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Joanna, I redid the listing on ebay, but still not too sure it has enough words. I've made a start on the site and put some changes online too. I do need some active shots, but haven't found anything suitable, so I've left the mountain view for now.
A-two

Post by A-two »

I hadn't realized it was the view from the apartment and that the lift runs in the summer as well, silly me. :oops: Perhaps you could have a photo caption underneath to say just?

Also, in the first paragraph, you say, "The apartment will be available for rental all year round, ....." which reads as, "The apartment will be available at some point in the future for rental all year round, ....." whereas I think you mean to say, "The apartment is available for rental all year round, ...." It's only one word, but it means a lot... :-)

No time to look at eBay right now, I have a lease to do, but wish you lots of luck this time round and will check it later.

Joanna
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OOPS, it must have been left over from befor the apartment was finished. I thought i'd updated all the text. Thanks Joanna.