Any tips for Visit England inspection?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
BarryLakes

Post by BarryLakes »

Congrats Jenny, glad to hear it went smoothly.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Well done Jenny, and good to know that the inspector was helpful.
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

Well done and Congratulation Jenny,
I have been thinking about getting our cottages rated after going through everything would you recommend it?
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

Well done and Congratulation Jenny,
I have been thinking about getting our cottages rated after going through everything would you recommend it?
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

Thanks Cotterdale. I definitely found the whole ratings process a good experience so from that point of view would recommend it. As others have said, it is helpful to have an idea of what rating you would like before the inspector arrives. I knew from the start that I wanted a good rating - and wouldn't have bothered if I didn't think I'd get a high 4 star or 5 star rating. So when we were furnishing and equipping the cottage I had the quality guidance in hand and checked off absolutely everything so that we could get as high a grading as possible. It certainly made a difference to the quality of fixtures, fittings and equipment that I bought, and influenced decisions such as when we were fitting out the bathroom and kitchen, as I wanted to make sure we had a bath as well as a shower, and a washer dryer in the kitchen. Let me know if you have any particular queries on the whole process!
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

Well after a lot of deliberation we've decided to up our 4 star gold rating to 5 star. We received our report from Quality in Tourism today, and hadn't until now realised how well into the 5 star category we were on almost all areas. I initially agreed with the rationale for going for the lower rating despite scoring enough points for the higher, but we just kept feeling a bit like we were underselling ourselves. Anyway, we shall see what the future holds in terms of serial complainers and nightmare guests, but hopefully the decision is the right one. Thanks for all the advice on here - it's been much appreciated.