Guests left apartment in bad state

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
angela59

Post by angela59 »

Hi Big Sis,

The photo was taken as it was her husband's 40th and she had the place decorated. My Management company I have used since April this year and so far I am happy with them. You are correct about Management company checking the place on day they left. In fairness to management company they didn't ask for anything extra but said in future they would withhold a balance of security deposit if they had extremely large amounts of refuse to take as in 4 large black bin bags from apartments. Listening to the management company and to the renter the reports are poles apart. Something got lost n communication along the line but still if the renter seems as responsible as she presents hereself on email then why didn't she contact the management company the day she was leaving and why would she not lock up security grill - patio doors were not even locked according to management company.

thanks for all the advice so far I appreciate it

Angela59
Angela59
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Angela.
well thats difficult...... but its great that the management company arent charging you anything more for the extra cleaning[and would give me lots more confidence in what they were telling you,] as they had nothing to gain by exaggerating the problem.
I would also be giving them brownie points its VERY unusual for a management company to act like that.So something good came out of this situation.Maybe they feel a little responsible as they didnt check the property as soon as they left.....

I dont know what your T & Cs say, but I think you would have a hard job charging anything to your guests for what happened, as you dont seem to be out of pocket.......I agree they were careless not locking up properly, and wasteful for not turning off the AC, but I think to deduct anything you would have to produce a bill for your additional expenses, and what would you list? the extra electricity? :roll:
Paula often has loads of rubbish to dump when people go, she does grumble a bit at times but I think this is just part and parcel of cleaning the houses TBH. Annoying, but not chargeable. Unless its listed in your T&Cs which if its not I would add now if I was you.Then you can fwd the charge on in future.

Just my opinion, but I would let this go..as always its up to you... but you have asked for advice and thats mine :D others might well disagree :)

Take care, Rosx
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I agree with Ros that there is not really a 'chargeable event' here in the circumstances, unless there was actual damage (unremovable stains for example).

However I would definitely impose a much higher deposit and I would advise them of what you expect on departure, both in advance when you send them their arrival instructions and also in your house information folder.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
angela59

Post by angela59 »

Have to agree - unless there is photographic evidence it is hard to prove a case and will refund her deposit. But I don't think I'd be having them back again as renters.

Thanks and am taking the advice on board.

Angela59
Angela59
Beachbumbler

Post by Beachbumbler »

Hi Angela,
Did you realise that on the webpage it isn't stipulated whether the prices are per night, per week or per month.
Looking at it as a normal punter, I might assume that I could rent it for the whole of August for 300 pounds! Somehow don't think that is the case :)

Just a thought........
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Beachbumbler wrote:Hi Angela,
Did you realise that on the webpage it isn't stipulated whether the prices are per night, per week or per month.
Looking at it as a normal punter, I might assume that I could rent it for the whole of August for 300 pounds! Somehow don't think that is the case :)

Just a thought........
This prompted me to have a look and I agree. Also the fact that 'holiday' is quoted in sterling and 'month' in euros. I thought it might be an error but checked other properties on the site and they were all the same.

BTW I am amazed that they can offer cleaning and laundry for a 2-bed/bath apartment for as little as €55.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

BTW I am amazed that they can offer cleaning and laundry for a 2-bed/bath apartment for as little as €55.
I would think it would be more like 70€, based on 15€/room linens and towels and 40€ for 2.5 hours cleaning, I know that is what I think it costs for our 2 beds, and we are in rural Normandy, so not exactly expensive.

When I looked at your ad, I found the prices confusing - if I rent for a month in August is it really only £500? There appears to be no seasonality to your long terms prices - or does that mean annual lets?
angela59

Post by angela59 »

Property Hounds charge E55 for cleaning 2 bed apartment and they do a fantastic job and do windows and external area also. The going rate here around south costa blanca is up to E60 for 2 bed apartment. With regard to the website - it isn't my own and I agree it is a little confusing with the sterling for holiday lets and euro for long lets. Property Hounds is a Franchise which the original founders were English, there are Property Hounds Villamartin, Property Hounds Punta Prima and Property Hounds Playa Flamenca and Property Hounds Cabo Roig. The pricing format is the same in all of the websites - prices vary. Holiday means short term let on weekly basis, longterm is anything over 3 months and is charged at E500 per month - I think if you read the print it says this somewhere along the line. There is no seasonality to long term prices as said above it is anything over 3 months up to 11 months. The holiday prices reflect seasonality.
Angela59
angela59

Post by angela59 »

Hi All,

Just to say I refunded security deposit back in Full as I did not have any photographic evidence. Needless to say I informed the renters i would not be taking further rentals from them.

thanks for any advice, much appreciated.
Angela59