Buying a b and b in Normandy

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
wornoutbywork

Buying a b and b in Normandy

Post by wornoutbywork »

We are hoping to start a b abd b/take over an existing b and b, preferably the latter, as then we would have some idea of the potential of the business. We are looking around Granville and the Cotentin - does anyone know of anything for sale?
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

That is where one of our properties is based. I'll keep my eyes open. I do know of one property that I feel could be made suitable but they are asking stupid money for it and it has been quietly rotting on the market for the last 3 years. It certainly would need a bit of work. Whats your budget? Are you looking for cheap and cheerful or luxury?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Wornoutbywprk is the description you expect after changing to this way of life?
wornoutbywork

Post by wornoutbywork »

I'm currently a teacher in a secondary school, so I expect it to be different but not necessarily less time consuming!

We will have a budget of around £400,000. We did look at a vastly overpriced place near le Havre and are going to do a bit of research over half term to see what's on offer. We are hoping to be fairly up market rather than cheap and cheerful, but the budget may decide which. Thanks for keeping a look out.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

If you are prepared to be innundated by chaff but willing to sift the responses in the hope of finding a potential gem, ask your question on AngloInfo Normandy. If I were looking it's what I'd do - not least because it prompts someone with a suitable house who might only be thinking of selling to get in touch.

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/forum.asp?FID=1003

In fact, thinking about it, I do know of one established b&b that is for sale but I don't know where in the Cotentin it is but it is advertised on AngloInfo. It can probably be found in the property for sale forum but a few pages ago.
Last edited by Normandie on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

viewtopic.php?t=15476&highlight=doing

I think this is recommended reading for anyone even thinking about going into the B&B business.

And some of my own thoughts:

I wonder about ROI - its hard in self catering, but I would guess its harder in B&Bs, also much harder/impossible to have a second job, which many of the self-caterers seem to have.

Le Havre is 3 hours from Granville - that seems a very large search area.

A successful B&B I have heard of manages to get a good year round clientele by offering spa treatments and facilities which appeal to the Parisiens.