Long shot...

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Long shot...

Post by Sue Dyer »

Bit of a long shot but has anyone visited Mexico for the "Day of the Dead" celebrations? I've long had a fascination with all things Mexican and find the concept of celebrating the persons life rather than mourning their death fascinating.

It is our 25th Wedding Anniversary in November and we want a special trip somewhere. Day of the dead is 2nd Nov so it would fit in. I just would like to know how "touristy" the thing is these days. The town we've been recommended was Patzcuaro. We've been before but in a January. So, if you've been I'm "dying" to hear what it was like and any tips. Thanks

p.s Other trips under consideration are places we know and love like Las Vegas, Deadwood, New York but we go to the U.S.A every year so not sure.....
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Nope, never have, though I do recall learning about it in school one year (San Diego is right next to the Mexican border). I was pretty young, so all the skull imagery freaked me out a bit.

What is there to do in Deadwood? Can you spend a week there and have plenty more to do the way you can in Vegas or NYC? The hubby and I are completely addicted to the HBO series about Deadwood.
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Welcome back Brooke! Nice to "see" you too. I've managed to find a company that will tailor make a Mexican trip for us, my L.A friend has strongly warned us about travelling independently in Mex. I wasn't sure if he's just being alarmist but a look a the Foreign Office's site make me think twice.

Deadwood - It is such a great little town. I love a bit of a small time gamble. It is no way like Vegas etc, most of the folk used to work in the nearby quarry which mined out. There's no fancy cocktail waitresses and big shows, just a town full of really nice folk who want a good chat with you. The time of year we'd be going (Nov) I figured there might be snow for some snowshoe walking. Also, our last trip there we visited Badlands, Mt Rushmore went into Montana and Wyoming, stayed on a ranch near Cody and did some trail riding. I figured the landscape might look quite different from our previous visit in June. Ah, so many destinations and so little time, I want to go to them all. I'll post what we finally decide!

p.s you're not alone. Lots of other folk from the U.S asked "WHY do you want to go to South Dakota for vacation"? :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Well, I actually think it would be fun to visit Deadwood, but probably only for a couple of days. You're probably right, there could potentially be a lot of snow in November. Brrr!

On the subject of Mexico...
Living right next to Tijuana, I can only share what I know:

1) Whenever we drove across the border, we had to purchase special insurance -- standard US insurance will not cover a car driven in Mexico.

2) I remember a horrid experience using a public bathroom, and having to pay money at the door to buy toilet paper. There's never any in the stalls, so kids sit outside and sell it.

3) I followed the no-water rules strictly and never got sick. But a friend of mine drank a margarita with ice in it, and was essentially unable to come out of the bathroom for several days. Another acquaintance in high school (none too bright) ate a fish taco from a street vendor and didn't come to school for two weeks.

That being said, there are parts of Mexico that are really spectacular! Tijuana is much worse than any resort town would be, but I believe the third rule applies everywhere. Seafood is okay at a good restaurant, but no ice in the drinks, and rub the rim of your glass with a lemon or lime wherever possible (or better yet, drink straight from the bottle or can).
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've been to TJ before, quite an experience walking across from one of the richest countries into one of the poorest. The kids on the borders were all selling Chicklets/chewing gum, I bought a tshirt for $2 and the design washed off first time. :lol:

We travelled a bit in Mexico, Mex City, Guatalajara, Taxcaco, Peurto Vallart but it was an organised trip. I think we were worried (or I am!) about being off the main tourist trail for corrupt officials etc. (according to the FO site). Still, the trip that we've been offered looks good and ends up at Zihuatanejo on the beach, which is the fishing village "Andy" from "Shawshank Redemption" escaped to.

Get yourself to Deadwood girl!!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Okay, Deadwood and Zihuatanejo, next up! I've always wanted to go there. I love that movie.
Brooke