White Stuff!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Stu

White Stuff!

Post by Stu »

Well, it's finally arrived with a vengeance! Snow! we've been promised itfor weeks here in the Loire, but it's never quite managed to arrive! It's now been snowing quite heavily for the past 5 hours and there's around 5 inch or so of it underfoot! Syb & I are about to have a wander down to our spare acre to take a picture of the virgin stuff before our pointer pup mucks it all up! Then we'll be having a snowball fight with the kids, when they've finished the igloo they're building!

Oh it's great being a kid again!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Its been snowing here as well - although it isn't as bad as the heavy stuff we had in November. We still have electricity which is a relief. As it's so cold, it's a good excuse to cook a tartiflette for supper. Highly calorific, but very warming!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

One of my friends is working for a French company in Paris.

Thursday night he went to Chartres from Paris - it took three hours in the snow. He arrived to find the hotel without electricity and went to bed with a glass of wine (or two) and some cheese.

The next day he went to the company's offices - still no electricity, so no switchboard phones and his mobile battery was running out.

It's comforting that France has as much trouble with a bit of snow as UK!

John

PS - he did make it back to Paris for the weekend!
enid

Post by enid »

Lots of snow here in the South West - lgorgeous - but I don't think the cats agree. Kevin would like to borrow your kids Stu and Syb for a snowball fight - he's had to content himself throwing snowballs for the dog to chase.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

enid wrote:Kevin's had to content himself throwing snowballs for the dog to chase.
This is why we have cats - no cat would demean themselves by pandering to a human in this way. we are used for:
- providing food
- providing warm places to sleep (our elder cat has a particular affection for Jane's chest!)
- providing affection; whilst it appears that they like tickling under the chin, in fact it is just to prove their control over their humans

John
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Unfortunately, snow is something that we will never see here in Malta as it dosn't get cold enough. We've had our fair share of rain this winter and some abnormal weather both cold and warm. Last week we had a few days where the maximum temp was only 10C which is well below normal, whereas today it topped 19C!! also above average for January. With all of this global warming hype, maybe a snowfall is on the cards afterall!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
enid

Post by enid »

With all of this global warming hype
We were just talking about this tonight - isn't global warming supposed to make temps rise not fall???!!!!!!
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Yes Enid, it's supposed to rise, but then again, I did say that it topped 19C today, not bad for the middle of winter! The weather is becoming so unpredictable though. Here in malta, it dosen't rain for months, then it rains cats and dogs for an hour and floods the place! This year however, it has rained everyday, for hours on end! Very strange for us. Central Europe is covered in snow and freezing, yet here it climbed to 19C, and a few days ago, it was down to 10. It may be normal for other countries, but it is very weird weather in our books. We even had a small tremor a few weeks ago, something extremely rare too. I don't know....
Malta – always in the sunshine!
paolo

Post by paolo »

The end is nigh....we're all doomed... don't panic!

(Name that TV show.)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dad's Army.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Alan, if you are right this avator is apt,
Cheers
PC
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

The end is nigh....we're all doomed... don't panic!
'Permission to speak sir'!!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Best ever line in a sitcom from Dad's Army.

German soldier. "Vat is your name boy"....

Mainwaring: "Don't tell him Pike"... :lol:
A-two

Post by A-two »

Sue,
That is so funny and even funnier, I remember him saying it! Anyway, give us back our snow, we ought to have at least 3 ft of it by now. Instead it's twice as warm as Paris and I'm still waiting for Fall to change into Winter, or maybe it's Spring already. Seasonally confused.....
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Enid:
" isn't global warming supposed to make temps rise not fall?"

No! Or at any rate (the rate that counts), not in the long term.
Don't forget the gulf stream.

This is the scenario judged most likely by a number of environmentalists (please don't ask how many):
If the temperature rises sufficiently to make the ice caps melt (already happening), the gulf stream will no longer circulate.
We then all freeze.
Mediterranean countries will freeze less. Everything is relative.
Best,
Alexia.