Water

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Loopy Lou

Water

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi everyone,

I understand that there is still a water shortage in a lot of France. Do you think water resources will be even more restricted this year? Will that have an adverse effect on rentals for next year?

Perhaps I should think about getting a water tank or two, but how do you keep them sweet?

Thanks,

Lou
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Lou,
there is only a water shortage in 5 depts at the moment in France, - Charente (16), Charente Maritime (17), Deux Sevres (79), Vienne (86) and Seine et Marne (77). Although that will probably increase if it stays as dry as it is at the moment, even here in Brittany we have had very little rain!
gh

Post by gh »

This French Government site is very useful for info regarding water restrictions and usages.
Last summer our French neighbour said our Department was considering stand pipes if the usage of water didn't go down.
We have had a hose pipe ban since April 05 and likelyhood to continue for most of 06.
Will it adversely have an effect on rentals?
Good question Loopy Lou. Time will tell.

http://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/rubrique.ph ... brique=741

Regards
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

johnel,
We have had a hose pipe ban since April 05 and likelyhood to continue for most of 06.
Will it adversely have an effect on rentals?
If the majority of your guests are into using hose pipes as an essential part of their holidays it's bound to. Otherwise it is a complete and utter irrelevance.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

:D :D :D
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Alan,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not hosepipes that concern me so much, it's the potential for water being cut off. Guests will still want to shower, flush loos, wash up etc. and use the swimming pool. As a putative gite owner looking in the Poitou Charentes area where the ban is still in place, I am a tad worried.

I have experienced water cut offs in hot climates, and it's no fun.

Lou
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Loopy Lou,

The disruption to water supply is a concern for us also, never expericensed it before and agree potential guest's may be put off the area should they know about it.

Last year during correspondance with guest's the mention of a hose-pipe ban meant to them hot weather, if it's to be stand-pipe supply this year the quest's reaction won't be so positive and rightly so.

Regards
Helen
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think things are that bad yet, but who knows? I know we had a discussion about this on the forum last summer as most of France was on a hosepipe ban and some people were concerend about how they would keep the pools topped up. I understand that there may be special dispensations to make sure that you are not affected by this if you are running a business, particularly if you are attracting tourists to the area who will spend money.