Emails

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
oskar

Emails

Post by oskar »

Can anyone advise on this?

A number of my emails to enquirers, using in particular btinternet.com email addresses, end up in junk and spam folders, and are in a lot of cases never seen by the recipient. Is there any way round this? My email address is info@mydomain.com
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi

Do you have a lot of email addresses or web links in the mails you send? Or a picture with an embeded link?

This can cause them to be identified incorrectly as junk.

Cheers
Marcus
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Oskar,

I use a wanadoo.fr e-mail address and I sometimes find that my e-mails are "bounced" by the recipient's server. It is usually ntlworld which does it but there are others. The really frustrating thing is that it can take up to 4 days for me to get the rejection message by which time the enquiry is "dead".

I know it is not the tidiest way of going about things but, have you tried responding to enquiries using a different e-mail address, for instance one with Hotmail or Netscape.

A work around, which might work, could be to re-route all your outgoing e-mails through Gmail. The messages would have their source as Gmail but would continue to show your luxuryvillaslanzarote address as the return address.

Alan
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

I am also with wanadoo, and also have problems with ntworl also Tesco net and BT.Its normally also about 4 or 5 days before Iget a rejection message. When i received enquires from with these email addresses I tend to send them 2 replies and apologize that they may receive 2 replies.
Nessie
paolo

Post by paolo »

I've noticed emails going missing since I went to Wanadoo and it may be time to look at this gmail option. I like my Eudora though!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

For those who don't like Gmail, you could look at fasmail.fm, it's also free with no adds.
Cheers
PC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have recently enquired about a property myself, and the reply was spammed (I use Freeserve/Wanadoo Uk), it was from an aol e-mail. Fortunately I do check the server's spam folder quite often, as I have even had enquiries sent there (free.fr address) . I have now got a gmail account, but it's so easy to use my OE as everything is in there already. I have exported my contacts though .
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Paolo,
I've noticed emails going missing since I went to Wanadoo and it may be time to look at this gmail option. I like my Eudora though!
You can configure Eudora (or pretty much any other POP email program) to collect Gmail messages.
Chalky

paolo

Post by paolo »

Chalky wrote:You can configure Eudora (or pretty much any other POP email program) to collect Gmail messages.
Can you configure it so you can send out of Eudora through a gmail address - so the fact that Wanadoo is my ISP is not a factor?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep -- in fact, I send and receive Gmail messages through Mozilla Thunderbird (and you could do the same with Eudora).

The Gmail help section has a full tutorial on how to set that up...
Brooke
oskar

Post by oskar »

Do you have a lot of email addresses or web links in the mails you send? Or a picture with an embeded link?
Yes, quite often I need to send links to different villas.
have you tried responding to enquiries using a different e-mail address, for instance one with Hotmail or Netscape.
My feeling on that is that is looks a little cheapskate. info@mydomain.com looks more professional
A work around, which might work, could be to re-route all your outgoing e-mails through Gmail. The messages would have their source as Gmail but would continue to show your luxuryvillaslanzarote address as the return address.
How do I do that?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Oskar,

Basically, it's by using customised "From" addresses.

It's all in the Gmail help files but you have to have a Gmail account before you can get at the files.

If you let me have your last name I will arrange for an invitation from Gmail.

Alan
oskar

Post by oskar »

Got it thanks Alan.

The problem is that my email address is now widely circulated around the internet, so to change it at this stage would not be a good business decision. I do have a hotmail account which I am now using to duplicate emails to btinternet.com email addresses. Would there be any advantage over Hotmail in using a gmail account for the same thing?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Oskar,

I would have the same practical problems with changing my e-mail address now. Using Gmail to customise your "From" address allows to continue with your existing e-mail address and to get around the blocks put on by some ISP's, hopefully. No need to send duplicate messages.

In any case, I think Gmail offers a more comprehensive set of options than does Hotmail and I find it a much nicer environment within which to work.

Give it a go and see for yourself.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan is right, I did the same and now have both gmail address and a wanadoo address within Outlook. You don't have to change your publicity, merely switch the account from which you are sending when you send e-mails. Very easy. A big thankyou to Brooke for suggesting it in the first place, I have now taken several bookings from NTL users for the first time this year!