How many bookings do you get with kids?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.

What percentage of your bookings are people with kids?

Under 25%
13%
25 - 50%
17%
50 - 75%
70%

Total votes: 23

vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We typically get very few, but then our small size, property layout, and proximity to ungated, moving water all work together to deter families with actual kids (younger than teenagers).

Though, we don't get that many families with older kids.
Brooke
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

On average, most of our bookings are from families with kids. Like some of you stated, having a pool is a major attraction for families and the fact that we are within minutes of some nice sandy beaches makes the attraction bigger.
I have never had any problems with children so far, afterall, they dont sit outside drinking and being merry till 3 in the morning :roll: !!
I make it clearly known that they are not permitted near the pool without adult suprvision and this fact is put down in writing on the registration form and signed by the parent.
Having kids of my own on the same property has also made new friends and return clients at the same time. The power of children is not as small as we think!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

John,
I couldn't agree more with this point - my daughter makes new friends every week and my two 11 & 13 yr old stepsons come over every year for the summer holiday and have make some great friends they are still in touch with. I know having shared accomodation isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we get a lot of families who really enjoy the fact that their children make lots of new friends (and give them a bit more time to relax!). We have a couple of families who stayed for the same week last year and got on so well that they both re-booked for the same 2 week period this year.
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Susan,
True, shared accomodation may not be everones cup of te, but in my case, it is the advantage I have over many "competitors" in my area. The fact that I live within the same complex has it's advantages where families with kids are concerened.
The "lived in" atmosphere help to make families feel relaxed and secure, just in case something come up. Children feel happy with children, thus the mix is a good one.
We have had many an enjoyable barbeques with families staying "with us" and this has been our best advert. Our bookings are the proof of the pudding. A fully booked Summer, as long back as November last!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Yes, there are advantages to having the owners on site when it comes to peace of mind for guests! I have to say I have quite enjoyed January after the New Year people left, which is the only month we are ever seem to be totally 'guest free'. No knocks at the door to ask how to light the fire, turn on the TV or use the dishwasher. Lovely!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

At one cottage, our neighbour's children and the neighbourhood cat seem to account for quite a number of happy (family) customers. The cat gets more mentions in the visitor book than anything else. I'm just worried in case he gets locked in the cottage by mistake and runs amok .... or is that a sign of an overactive imagination?

At our other cottage we live above the cottage which means we see as little or as much of our guests as they wish. I think they appreciate someone being nearby who can answer questions about where to go or who can provide the garlic they forgot to bring them ( a vital ingredient for their supper on Thursday night!).