Google Sites html table help

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

Google Sites html table help

Post by Nemo »

In the absence of any other way, it appears I am stuck with editing the html on my gallery page.

I need to add the borders around the bottom few photos and I cannot get it right - I end up with some lines but not in the right place. Can anyone tell me what to add where to get lines around the photos I have just added? (Google makes a horrible mess of the html, so it's never simple)

Is there any application/software etc that would do a better job for me than tussling with the Google software? I would love smaller images that can be clicked on to enlarge. If it could also be incorporated in another (wordpress) site, even better.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

In the absence of a reply to a previous question, I have re-edited the post above. Would be wonderful if anyone can help!
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Looking at the source code for the page briefly, it appears that your second group of photos are not in the same table as the first group of photos -- there looks to be a </table> tag buried in there, so you need to copy and paste all the table rows with your new photos to be above that tag (or move that tag to below your new photos). Does this make any sense?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I understand what you're saying so that's a start but.....!

I have played around removing varying bits of code, but can't find exactly which bits to remove. Just the </table tag> doesn't work, but removing other bits does not achieve the end result either. Have to say I go way out of my depth once it comes to the horrible html that Google produces.
gam

Post by gam »

Nemo wrote:Have to say I go way out of my depth once it comes to the horrible html that Google produces.
It is really hard to read/decipher generated code - much easier if it's been hand coded - but not many people do that any more (me included).

As Harborfields says, you appear to have created two tables: the first having the border attribute you want and the second having none. You should be able to fix this by deleting the second table and adding the photos to the first table.

This is the relevant HTML:

<div>
<div style="text-align: center; margin: 5px 0px 0px 10px; display: inline;">
<table cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#888888" border="1" style="border-color: rgb(136, 136, 136); border-width: 1px; border-collapse: collapse;">
<tbody>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</div>

<table>
<tbody>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

The bit in red is the "extra" table.
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I don't see exactly what you see unfortunately.
At the end of my last photo before the new one I have this.

</DIV>
</TD>
</TR>
</TBODY>
</TABLE>
</DIV>
<TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style="WIDTH: 381px; HEIGHT: 295px">&nbsp;>
<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; DISPLAY: block">
<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; ZOOM: 1; DISPLAY: block; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto">
<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; ZOOM: 1; DISPLAY: block; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto">

I am assuming I need to remove the end of the last table and the beginning of the new one, then leave the end of the table at the end of all the photos? So I've tried removing varying bits here as per your suggestions, but Google just gives me an error message and reverts back to the original two tables.

I didn't knowingly create another table;I thought I was adding rows below but apparently not. :(

I'm thinking I may have to remove the table altogether and start again, but I cannot remember how I added the lines in the first place. Google really tries to stop you editing the html, so I don't think I'd manage it via html. I just know I wasted hours. :evil:
gam

Post by gam »

Nemo wrote: I'm thinking I may have to remove the table altogether and start again
I suspect that would be easiest :D
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
Windy

Post by Windy »

Do you have access to the html - some of these apps allow you to click on a "source" button to edit the underlying code

If so then you could try replacing the tag that starts the second table in line 222

<table>

with

<table border="1" bordercolor="#888" cellspacing="0" style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR:#888;BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH:1px;BORDER-TOP-COLOR:#888;BORDER-COLLAPSE:collapse;BORDER-TOP-WIDTH:1px;BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH:1px;BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR:#888;BORDER-LEFT-COLOR:#888;BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH:1px">

which is the code that starts your first one.

Otherwise you could just delete the

</tbody></table></div>
<table>
<tbody>

from lines 221-223

I THINK that would do the trick as it would merge the two tables together.

PM me if you need more detail.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Windy I'm nearly there now! First instructions put lines around a second table but it wasn't aligned. Second instruction got me to where I am now.

The tables appear to have merged, but I don't have a line between the last two rows?
Windy

Post by Windy »

It's horrible code to debug i'm afraid Nemo. I've spent 10 minutes going round in circles - the last 4 images are a bit of a mess to debug as there are so many different bits of styling on the page.

Sorry but I think you might be better off starting the table again (or doing yourself a Wordspress site :wink: )
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok thanks for reminding me Windy. :oops:

I shall not waste any more time on it. It will do and as you say my time could be put to far better use. :wink: