Gmail font size

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Gmail font size

Post by la vache! »

I'm a big gmail fan, but one thing I hate is that when you enable the Default Text Settling in Labs, you don't have a choice of font size, just small, normal, large.
When I look at the email I sent in Outlook, the 'normal' text size is too big (much bigger than it looks in gmail) and looks unprofessional, and the 'small' text size is too small.
Has anyone found a way around this problem, or isn't it really a problem? It looks unprofessional to me, although of course not everyone uses Outlook.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Do you have to use Outlook at all LV?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

KathyG wrote:Do you have to use Outlook at all LV?
No I don't, but a lot of people I correspond with (including all my students and probably quite a few customers) do!
It isn't a problem for me, but I know it looks unprofessional with the font size that gmail uses when you read a gmail in Outlook.
I don't want to look unprofessional!
This is a screenshot of how different a gmail email (with 'normal' size text looks when you open it in Outlook compared to otherl emails. The text appears much bigger.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

OK, it doesn't look like anyone is particularly bothered by this, but I have a solution. The only default font that looks normal for people reading your gmails in Outlook is Serif (normal size). All the other default texts for gmail when used for emails opened in Outlook look oversized and shouty, like an 8 year old who doesn't know better has written it.
Debby K

Post by Debby K »

Thanks LV....I've just been messing around with my "footer" so I'll change it to serif.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well done LV, sorry I didn't have a solution.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

KathyG wrote:Well done LV, sorry I didn't have a solution.
Don't be sorry Kathy, you wouldn't even know it was an issue unless you have access to Outlook yourself and therefore know how unprofessional your gmail emails look to enquirers who use Outlook!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

And now my emails look too small to those who use gmail.
But if you look at this chart for email client popularity Outlook is still the most popular by quite a margin, but probably because most businesses use it.
I give up!
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my business emails and my replies always appear to be ok when I send them, however, when people reply to me and my original email is included below sometimes the font is huge and as you say, looks very unprofessional. I have never found out why it is only sometimes and not always - I guess, by reading this topic, it is because of the mail client that they are using - the problem is I don't know which one, and if I change my font size, would it become too small for the others :?
Windy

Post by Windy »

LV - in Outook 2010 Windoze there is a slider at the bottom right of the screen that changes the font size. Its not an ideal solution as it reverts for each email, but it might help.

Of course OL 2011 for Mac doesn't have it, but then OL 2011 for Mac is Bill G$tes way of saying **** off Apple, isn't it?