A new form of Malware

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
e-richard

A new form of Malware

Post by e-richard »

This pernicious malware is growing and comes from many of the most reputable companies on the Web.
Its called "Autorenew" and can subtract thousands of pounds from your bank account.
Autorenew is presented as a fantastic labour saving device aimed at busy people who want to maintain security and peace of mind. You do not have to do anything, it just subtracts the money from your bank account/credit card automatically without any effort on your part.

BUT, there are two ways it has been creeping up on us in a malicious way:

1. Many subscription based purchases now have an automatic opt-IN that you may not have spotted, so its probably a year or so afterwards that you find out that you have acquired this rogue.
2. Autorenew costs substantially more than other types of purchase. Some recent examples I have encountered:

The AA
Savings by cancelling and buying the identical package as a new customer with the same company: 43%

TravelInsurance
Savings by cancelling and buying the identical package as a new customer with the same company: 26%

McAfee Security
Savings by cancelling and buying the identical package as a new customer with the same company: 54%
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes very true and very annoying.

Huuby got caught with his car insurance a year or so ago. It's an off road car and he didn't need the insurance. The funds disappeared out of his account and he didn't have a clue until it was too late.

Don't think I have auto renew on McAfee (!) but I have had reminders to renew since 10 months even though I have a 15 month subscription not 12. I have also purchased the same cover for 3 computers instead of 1 at a lower cost than renewal.

There are so many examples that hubby has been caught with simply because he doesn't have the time to think, let alone act. Where I can, I have taken over many financial transactions for him, so that I can try and save us money by being alert.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Nemo wrote:Don't think I have auto renew on McAfee (!)
Yes, that's exactly my point. I didn't think so either. My initial subscription came free with a new laptop, but when I added a second computer license, I guess the auto-renew snuck in :evil:

It got my shackles up so much that I've been doing some research since posting above, and according to Which? magazine, Microsoft Essentials is the new favourite - and its FREE.

I'm going to so enjoy uninstalling McAfee.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Really? :shock:

Right exactly the same could happen to me then - so I will try and check. Thanks for the heads up. Sadly having already bought a year of McAfee, I'll have to stick with it.

I have free AVG on my desktop, which makes it run like a dog. A computer guy tweaked it, but after a couple of months it seemed to re-set itself and I was back to square one again. I will also investigate Essentials then.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've been using MSE for about 18 months now, having used AVG and Avast previously. It does the job and isn't heavy on system usage at all. I'm very happy with it.
Last edited by la vache! on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windy

Post by Windy »

hackles Richard, unless you are planning on locking them up :-)

It is irritating. It's not just auto-renew of course. Norton didn't auto renew me but they still wanted tiwce as much for me to renew as to uninstall and replace. In the end, like you, I did replace but with MSE.