Childhood words...

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
enid

Post by enid »

And one of my Dad's toasts - 'Here's to me and my wife's husband not forgetting myself'!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Her best one though was if you were regretting something and mulling over and saying "If only"... She would cut in with "Aye pet, if only your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle".... That always makes me laugh!!
Brilliant! Love it!

When my daughter was small and used to get those shy giggly fits in front of adults, my mum always said 'That one would laugh to see a pudding crawl...'

Oh and talking of puddings, my dad always used to call rice pudding 'Mad Monk' (Rasputin= rice pudding, geddit????). So lunch guests used to be left wondering what they were going to get on their plate when they were told it was Mad Monk for pudding.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
jess

Post by jess »

soodyer wrote: Her best one though was if you were regretting something and mulling over and saying "If only"... She would cut in with "Aye pet, if only your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle".... That always makes me laugh!! :lol:
My mom uses that one occasionally.

More often, she says:
"Balls", said the Queen. "If I had too/two, I'd be King!"
And the King just smiled, because he had two/too.
jess
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Enid, Knightowl, they're brilliant!! Where do folk get these from? A pudding crawl....... :lol: !!!!

Some our our own words:
Dave calls underpants "Hondas" cos they go "honder" your trousers... A five pound note is a "Harold" (Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes) :roll: groan!

More please!!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Jess, mam used to use the Queen/balls one too!!

Knightowl. I just googled "laugh to see a pudding crawl" (using the quotes) and got some results!!!! Ah, I thought it was exclusive to your mam.. :(
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

My wife still buys tickets at a railway station from the man at the wicket and loves a blizzie (a roaring fire) - I think both from Norfolk, which also have rooffes rather than rooves and rooffers to repair them and you put daysal into vans.

John
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

This thread made me smile. In Italy each region has two languages, Italian and the local dialect - I get by in Italian, but when the locals speak Piemontese I am lost! This is something we've lost in the uk - probably only in the last 50 years.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

if only your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle
I've just watched an episode of Life on Mars from a couple of weeks back which featured this very same line (from the mouth of the marvellous Gene).

Back to words - my 5 year old has given a name to those earphones that you put into your ear as opposed to over them. Plonks. Because you plonk them in your ear. :roll: :lol:

(which incidentally is the name the blokes use for female coppers in Life on Mars... :? )
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302