Is anyone using Pinterest as a marketing tool?

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Giddy Goat wrote:If so, they'll maybe clean up Pinterest's act Garri.
Well, that was naive of me! I have done some more reading in the last couple of days.

This is an extremely readable and thought-provoking article, along with some interesting comments by readers:

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Pi ... Violations

And just to really confuse you, I am posting a link to another article, (provided by the writer of the article above,) this time from an unusual professional photographer!

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2012/02/1 ... pinterest/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Interesting article GG. Perhaps you can see why me 'n Bob are still on the fence. This quote gets to the nub of the issue:

Pinterest doesn't have to "enforce" the clause claiming permission to sell and distribute content posted on Pinterest. That clause just covers Pinterest's legal butt in a lawsuit. Since members who sign up for Pinterest agree to those terms of use, if an artist or photographer sues Pinterest for copyright violations, Pinterest can pass the buck -- and the liability in the lawsuit -- onto the member who posted the copyrighted content.

And as for Trey (Trey?) ...

Trey Ratcliffe said:
The web, and the universe, has a certain flow to it. You can become one with that flow and enjoy the ride. You can let the opportunity of what-can-be motivate you rather than the more poisonous fear-of-loss.
It's good that you feel like that Trey because I'll be round later to motivate you by helping myself to your car and the contents of your fridge. When there's no milk for your coco-pops and you have to catch the bus to your next assignment, hey - I'll be OK. And you'll be going with the flow. So, I guess that we'll both be happy!
Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Yes, I wondered how you would react to that article Jimbo. When I first read it I thought "he must have independent means!"
Martha

Post by Martha »

Tonight's job - to set some boards up. Let's see how it goes.
http://pinterest.com/chaletlaforet/

Did you know you can opt out of it if you want? Of course it won't stop someone determined but if you are worried, it could help.

<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />
in the HTML of your header
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's handy Martha, for those who have strong feelings and are already happy with their current methods of getting known.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Having read this thread I recalled getting an email on this subject.
It gave a link to a downloadable ebook.
http://blog.hubspot.com/Portals/249/doc ... siness.pdf
I do not know if it is for me yet. So is there a website for sitting on the fence? :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Jimbo wrote:Trey Ratcliffe said:
The web, and the universe, has a certain flow to it. You can become one with that flow and enjoy the ride. You can let the opportunity of what-can-be motivate you rather than the more poisonous fear-of-loss.
It's good that you feel like that Trey because I'll be round later to motivate you by helping myself to your car and the contents of your fridge. When there's no milk for your coco-pops and you have to catch the bus to your next assignment, hey - I'll be OK. And you'll be going with the flow. So, I guess that we'll both be happy!
Whether you agree/disagree with Trey Ratcliff's sentiment, it's hard to say it's not something that's 'worked for him'. I've followed him for a while and his work is incredibly popular as a result of his approach (he has 1.3 million followers on Google+ which is no mean feat given how 'new' a social network it is... I thought I was doing well to have 5k!). He is considered by many to be something of a pioneer when it comes to HDR.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Artists Bill of Rights wrote:
Pinterest is simply another website with a business model which expects to profit from the use of others' content. It invites everyone to post any content they find on the internet to its website.

By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services. Cold Brew Labs does not claim any ownership rights in any such Member Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to use and exploit any such Member Content.

There is a great deal we could say about the above, but in this article we will just focus on one of the above words, the one highlighted in red. What does this mean? What it says, Pinterest can sell the content you upload to their website.
Full article here: http://tinyurl.com/7xaeaeb
Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Flickr adds Pinterest opt-out code to copyrighted photos.

http://tinyurl.com/6qz2soq
Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

More here Jim: http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/24/flickr-pinterest-pin/

The comments get very heated.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

What mightily p***** me off is that, to avoid being 'pinned', you will need to insert a snippet of code into all your websites on every page. Imagine if everybody adopted this approach - you'd end up with more code on your sites than on an Enigma machine.

Hope this arrogant nonsense will be tested soon in a court of law.
Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

From Business Insider:
Copyrighted work can only be used without permission when someone is criticizing it, commenting on it, reporting on it, teaching about it, or conducting research. Repinning doesn't fall under any of those categories.

Pinterest places all blame and potential legal fees on its users … if a photographer sues you for pinning an image illegally on Pinterest, the user must not only pay for his or her lawyer, they must also pay for Pinterest's lawyer. In addition, the defendant must pay all charges against him or herself, along with all of Pinterest's charges.
Full article here: http://tinyurl.com/6wtyexg

As Sergeant Phil used to say on Hill Street Blues: “Hey, let's be careful out there!”
Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

e-richard wrote:In a nutshell:

If you care about copyright, do not share photos.
If you want to share, then Pinterest is a great vehicle.

Pinterest, like Facebook, is all about sharing. Its not about protecting copyright.
Facebook is incredibly successful because millions of people do not care about copyright.

Neither of these (and a huge swathe of new thinking social networking/sharing websites) are suitable for or aimed at professional photographers or designers. That's what Getty Images and that ilk are about.
Richard, you paint an over the rainbow 'www' where everybody does what they want and nobody ever gets hurt. Share photographs that you find on the internet with your mates on social networking sites. Or go the 'Getty Images and that ilk' route by protecting your images behind a copyright wall. Problem is that it isn't working - copyright material is being stolen on an unprecedented scale, encouraged by sites like Pinterest and others. The three biggest pictures agencies - Getty, Corbis and Alamy - all report having their stock pictures 'pinned'. Several of my professional colleagues report hundreds of new abuses every week. All metadata that identifies the author is usually stripped from these images and they become public property.

If you're a professional photographer, it's not 'Oh shucks, it's just the kids having fun and a little bit of extra exposure for me'. Images are being stolen in a vast tsunami. If I can't protect my images with copyright, I can't sell them to legitimate clients because the licences that I issue with 'exclusivity' will be worthless. Imagine, Richard, if hundreds of people downloaded and shared your PIMS Management System without payment and it proved impossible to protect your property and hard-won expertise - how would you feel?

It's possible that a legal challenge to Pinterest (and Amazon, who are storing and publishing Pinterest images without the copyright holder's permission on their servers) will happen or the company (now under some pressure) may decide voluntarily to change its ways. But it will surely be replaced by dozens of new networking sites eager to learn from their experience.

In a nutshell: If you regularly lift images from the internet to 'share' with your friends without the permission of the copyright owner, don't expect any sympathy or support when somebody lifts chunks of your creative output on your own website. What you sow ...
Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo wrote:The three biggest pictures agencies - Getty, Corbis and Alamy - all report having their stock pictures 'pinned'. Several of my professional colleagues report hundreds of new abuses every week. All metadata that identifies the author is usually stripped from these images and they become public property.
:shock: I didn't think this could be done - so watermarks don't work then Jimbo?

I have stumbled across at least one (pro) photographer on Pinterest btw; I assume he's there with the intention of promoting his business: (:?)

http://pinterest.com/khansonphoto/journal/
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Giddy Goat wrote:... so watermarks don't work ...
No, smoke and mirrors. Put a large and obtrusive watermark (ie: one that's moderately effective) in an image and nobody will look at it. Pictures buyers regularly state that they 'can't be bothered' with viewing pictures that are heavily obscured by watermarks. Put a neat little watermark as a copyright reminder along the edge of an image and it'll be ignored, cropped off or removed by image editing software. One of Photoshop's nifty tools for removing unwanted detail from photographs works a treat with watermarks.

The only thing that does work 24/7 is honesty. And that's a vanishing commodity.
Jim