fax

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
pujols

fax

Post by pujols »

morning...got internet faxing facility and a tel number.
Can you please tell me how to ge started to send faxes.
As you can tell I am hopeless with French telephones and maptops etc.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

What kind of fax are you talking about? Is it a feed through one, where pages go through something similar to a printer or is one on the computer, which you can use to fax something off your computer to a fax number?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I used a free internet fax service to fax the UK a few months ago (the UK passport office if anyone wonders what archaic institution still requires a faxed signed document). I added the document I wanted to send as an attachment, put in the phone numbers etc. et voilà. Very simple.
http://www.freepopfax.com/
pujols

Post by pujols »

Thanks La Vache
Windy

Post by Windy »

That reminds me of a conversation I had recently regarding a contract where they insisted on a "fax" and would not accept and email of a scan of the same document. (actually it's a conversationI have now had several times)

I had a terse discussion with them about the meaning of "facsimile" and the ease of faking a signature on the fax but it did no good. On this occasion I offered several celebrity signatures and asked them to choose which they wanted - Jonny Depp's is a particular favourite of mine as it looks like a five year old drawing on a wall. Annoyingly they only wanted mine and I don't have to fake that.

Anyway it sees that fax machines are magic and confirm validity in a way that a scanner that does exactly the same thing apart from sending the resulting image down a phone line of course can't do.

Some people just don't get logic at all. I would have thought that apart from their very spurious legal acceptability faxes had outlived their function these days.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Germans are still devoted to their fax machines in the same way. The joke is on them though: we have a UK fax number and no fax machine but the faxes are automatically rerouted to my email so they reach me anywhere, anytime!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My French bank is very attached to faxes, but has finally replaced the necessity to fax details of any accounts I wish to transfer money to. Now when I add them to the online account I just enter a code which they text to me.