Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 1 2012

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Following on from Ross's excellent suggestion earlier in this thread I added a tab to my page with my PIMS availability on it using the iframewrapper app.

http://www.facebook.com/WindermereLodge ... 6773558886

If you want the wide multi-property calendar from PIMS to show without scrolling you have to play about with the iframe code width parameters a bit. (Thanks Richard for that suggestion)

I can PM my changes to anyone who is interested.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Lorca - I added the extra Welcome pages using the MyTab app. The Welcome page is what is called a Like Gate as it displays differently depending on whether ypu have already liked the page or not. "Gate" is probably the wrong word though as you can still see the Wall without Liking the page.

I put some instructions up in a thread about adding a Facebook Landing Page

viewtopic.php?t=16133

Read past the first posts as I had several attempts before settling on a satisfactory method.

Alternatively just go here to see the blog post I wrote about it.

http://www. lakedistrictholidaylodges.co.uk/wp/2011/11/27/adding-a-landing-page-to-your-facebook-page/

The calendar I added using a different app, iFramewrapper, but with hindsight I could probably have added the iFrame to another instance of the MyTab app as well.

If it's all Greek/geek to you then I can probably talk you through it step by step.
Last edited by Windy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Thanks Windy - apols I´ve been out of the loop for a while, just catching up and obviously didnt read the thread through properly :oops:
If not now, when?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

lorca wrote:
Nemo - how do you do the recommend thing?
I assume it needs to be a business page in the first place. Go to that page, see recommendations in top right column, and then you can write a recommendation. I also see that pages people have liked appear in my recommendations (which takes us back to the benefits of liking). When I click "see all" on the recommendations it brings up several categories which are "Music,Movies,Television,People,Brands & Products,Companies & Organizations." Now it doesn't always appear - I just had to click on and off my page a couple of times to bring the recommendations column back.

But - it doesn't appear to cater for local business or place pages? KC for example has a page that is in the company/organisation category so he could appear there. As for the rest of us - no idea! Oh if only we knew what we were doing!
lorca

Post by lorca »

Oh this is brilliant Windy thanks - I´m giving it a go
If not now, when?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Thanks to all who have liked me so far! Just had another like fest here and have re-liked from my business page some of you that I liked yesterday on my personal page ... well, what else do you do when you're snowed in?
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Love is all around...I've caught up on all my likes with GG, Margaret, Kitkat, Wallypott, KC, Lorca and Windy now duly added. If there's anyone else I've missed feel free to give me a nudge (or should I say a poke!). I'll keep monitoring this incredibly useful thread so if anyone else wants to come to the party by posting their FB url then I'll be very happy to like them too. I'll get to the magic 25 yet!
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Thanks Windy, very kind of you to do both. Sorry about putting your name here... I should have more sense and have now removed it!
Windy

Post by Windy »

No worries - thanks :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I just searched for the MyTab app and found it. Great. It says I can only download it using my personal profile, so does that have any effect on when I come to use it from my business page?

I find it hard to "like" from my business pages, as it keeps taking me back to my personal profile, but I'm learning to keep an eye on the top bar which shows which user I am at any given moment, so I shall try and do the "like" fest shortly!
Windy

Post by Windy »

It make our teeth itch Nemo, doesn't it? "Who am I at the moment?" is an existentially distrurbing question

I managed to get MyTab working on my lodge page so I think you should be OK :lol:
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Windy wrote:I wonder if FB gives more weight to your page in terms of presenting your output to more people if you have more likes ???
I think to some extent, yes... if you search for a particular search term, and look at the results from 'Pages', I think it tends to throw up first those pages with more 'likes' (to some extent, at least).

However, for your output to appear in more people's feeds, I would guess you need to be looking more at the 'number of people talking about this page' figure, or that it at least depends in part on how many regularly look at your page (as opposed to having just 'liked' it in the past). But all this is just speculation on my part... not based on hard fact.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Trying to improve the number of people who 'were here' also means a better chance of keeping in touch with past guests.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

With the risk of missing out on something (and feeling unliked :oops: ) Here's mine - I think I've liked everyone that has passed before me :wink:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brittany- ... 6454380720
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Done Caroline (and I like very much - as I do them all actually 8) )! I have just done the rounds of liking the links put on this thread, so if I have missed anyone, just post your link here or send me a PM.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far. For those that don't have the 25 likes needed to claim their name, then try anyway, especially if there's been a lot of activity as now. I was only at 20 or so and claimed mine. With the likes rushing in so thick and fast FB clearly thought I was hot news!

It's well worth claiming your user name as then you have a short url with no numbers in, so go for it everyone who hasn't already.