Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 1 2012

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Ok, I've Liked everyone's FB page who've put a link on their post except La Vache I couldn't see your link, probably me!

I try to post to my page to keep it 'current' but am a little inconsistant (bit like my blogging) and am not sure how to 'promote' it - pretty sure I've never had a booking from it. It all seems too complex and complicated. I have a button on our website linking to it (http://dordogne-gites.net/), regularly link to it from my Twitter posts and have numerous links to it on various other social network sites/forums I use!

I find navigating, editing and the constant changes to FB's 'privacy policies' a nightmare (life's too short), for instance I've just been into the EDIT just to see that everything is ok and noticed an incomplete box near the top of the page titled 'official page'. If you hover your mouse over the ? it explains 'If this is a fan page, please enter the official page here. This will be shown on your page as "Fan page about ________" and will help the page see your updates'. Is it a Fan page or a business page??? I've tried putting all sorts of phrases / titles in there but nothing seems to work? Arghhh

Anyway, if you want to Like my page(s) please feel free: http://www.facebook.com/dordognegites

+ the Sale page.... http://www.facebook.com/dordognepropertyforsale

Thanks! x
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Nemo wrote:GG - if you go the post you want to delete, then hover over it, at the right hand side you can see a world and an arrow. Click on the arrow and it gives you two options, delete or hide the post. I don't think you can edit a post though.
Thank you Nemo - sometimes my numptiness gets me down ... Kitkat, your post above has only added to my confusion - but it's heartening to know there are others out there wading through the same treacle.

I think I have liked you - your page is telling me that anyway. :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Don't know if this will work but to try to get more likes (=more publicity) in the search box on my FB page I've been typing key words and then liking the pages similar or relevant to my page, must have done at least a hundred tonight. I'm hoping that at least some of them will pick-up on my Like and Like my page back? Think I'm going to be doing quite a bit of selecting the 'Hide all by' option on posts in the next few weeks. :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Just to be heretical, what good does liking each others pages do? I can see that if a customer likes it then their friends might see it, but I 'm not sure what good my liking any of your pages would do you?

Anyone?
lorca

Post by lorca »

No idea Windy - the whole things beginning to make my brain hurt :?

Anyway, I´m happy to like everyone´s page. Here´s mine

https://www.facebook.com/vivasiesta

For some reason I can no longer see who likes my page - I used to be able to click on the "like this" under the number (not their profiles, just their names and pics) anyone any ideas?
If not now, when?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Windy wrote:Just to be heretical, what good does liking each others pages do? I can see that if a customer likes it then their friends might see it, but I 'm not sure what good my liking any of your pages would do you?

Anyone?
2 things spring to mind...

1) those with very few likes can quickly get to the required number of likes that enables them to have a custom Facebook URL

2) by following what each of us is up to, perhaps we'll get inspiration and ideas on how we could each be using our FB pages...

I believe some LMHers (yourself included, Windy?) have stayed at other LMH properties also, so maybe that could be point 3)...??? :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thankyou for the likes Windy and Wally. I already like yours, so you won't see me liking your pages.
Kitkat, you can still see who likes your page, click on the number of people who 'like this' link on the left, then you have the graph, with the title
People Who Like Your Page (Demographics and Location)
With 'See Likes' on the right. Click on this and it will show you who likes your page.

Do you think it is a good idea to have the Facebook page link in your email signature in addition to your website address? This is the only way I can think of to get the existence of the page a lot further than friends of friends. Although i have had one booking from Facebook, that is why it is important to have the title of the page as something people would search on in Google.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Fair points KC - I was thinking more about the long term usefulness in terms of penetration but those reasons are both valid of course.

I wonder if FB gives more weight to your page in terms of presenting your output to more people if you have more likes ???
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I have the Facebook link in my signature. Some guests seem to have found it for themselves as well as there are some quite 'old' ones there!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Windy wrote:Just to be heretical, what good does liking each others pages do? I can see that if a customer likes it then their friends might see it, but I 'm not sure what good my liking any of your pages would do you?
As much in the dark as anyone but from FB;

"What does it mean to like a Page or content off of Facebook?
When you click Like on a Facebook Page, in an advertisement, or on content off of Facebook, you are making a connection. A story about your like will appear on your Wall (timeline) and may also appear in News Feed. You may be displayed on the Page you connected to, in advertisements about that Page, or in social plugins next to the content you like.

Facebook Pages you like may post updates to your News Feed or send you messages. Your connection to the page may also be shared with apps on the Facebook Platform.

What's the difference between "liking" an item a friend posts and "liking" a Page?
Liking a Page means you are connecting to that Page. When you connect to a Page, it will appear in your profile (timeline) and you will appear on the Page as a person who likes that Page. The Page will also be able to post content into your News Feed.

On the other hand, when you click "Like" on a piece of content that a friend posts, you are simply letting your friend know that you like it without leaving a comment.

If content appears in your news feed, then your friends can see it, so at least by liking from your personal profile I can see the benefits. Still not clear on business to business benefits!

edited to remove irrelevant content.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I see the latest trick we might need to be doing is recommending a page.

When you recommend a page it appears in the right hand column on your news feed, so that becomes advertising effectively, from friends to friends.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

La Vache, just found and Liked your page this morning. Btw, it wasn't me asking where my Likes were it was Lorca.

Have noticed a few folks who have Liked my page(s) have done so from their personal pages and not from their fan/business page - Just thought I'd mention this as if you're looking for reciprical Likes to your business page it's not gonna happen.

ps I hate the new-look homepage/timelines rolling out for FB... What a mess!!!
Last edited by kitkat on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Kitkat - I liked your page from both my personal page and from my lodge page. Two for the price of one. :-)

By the way I don't usually publish my name on here so maybe you wouldn't mind editing that last post?
lorca

Post by lorca »

OK done some liking - thanks for your folks!

Yes it was me LV - thanks, I can see them now

A few questions

Windy - ho do you create the extra pages (Welcome, About etc)? It may be beyond me but I´d like to give it a go

Nemo - how do you do the recommend thing?

Gracias!
If not now, when?