pool fences

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
carolecousins

pool fences

Post by carolecousins »

Sorry I know this is a pain. Our pool backs onto open farmland and can be a bit blustery, ok all the trees are bent! We wanted to build a wall along one side and then fence the other 3 sides with security fencing - can we do this? and will it conform to the norm? we are currently using a security cover on the pool but it's a drag getting it on and off and I know that guests just won't bother.

Any help very much appreciated -

Carole
too old to be a newbie, too green to be anything else
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Carole,

The basic answer is yes. You will need to comply with the AFNOR regulations NF P 90-306. Those regulations apply to safety barriers (walls & fences) and means of access (gates).

If you propose doing all the work yourself you will need an up-to-date copy of the regulations and you will have to follow them precisely.

If you use a contractor for the work he is obliged to supply you with a certificate of compliance.

Alan
carolecousins

pool fences

Post by carolecousins »

Hi Alan,
Thanks for your reply,Is it possible to get an english translation of the afnor regs? and do we have to get someone or some authority to certify that it complies or do they ignore us unless something happens (heaven forbid!) As I think I understand it the wall has to be at least 120cm high and rendered smooth so that it can't be climbed am I right or being hopelessly naive.

Thanks for your help we are going over to france in april to build/erect whatever ...

Carole
too old to be a newbie, too green to be anything else
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Carole,

As far as I know AFNOR only provide their regulations in French. You could try Websites such as
http://www.piscine-plus.com/index_files/security.htm and ask if they can supply an English version.

Alan