Appliances in Bathrooms

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Hells Bells

Appliances in Bathrooms

Post by Hells Bells »

We have a washing machine in our bathroom, which was installed by the developer. Our recent (French) guests have complianed that it is dangerous and that water could drop onto the plug. As that could happen with any washing machine in a kitchen never mind a bathroom, does anyone know what the regulations are?Particularly re the position of the elecric socket in relation to the waste pipe and water supply.
Helen
centime

Post by centime »

Helen: I am having a new bathroom installed here in Portugal, covered by the same EU laws no doubt. Firstly don't worry about it and certainly don't call the electricity board to check out the situation as they will probably want you to change it. The new safety rules will apply when you are having a new installation approved. or you call the electric company to approve the existing system. I would suggest that you simply change the plug to a covered one with a lift up lid and this will help with any fears that guests pose in the future. I think that you can buy special ones that can be used outside and are used in boat yards for instance. :idea: You can easily change the plug yourself just turn off the mains and screw it in or get a local electrician., more costly of course!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Centime, as it is a new property I think it should probably have been checked when they inspected anyway (it was only finished in December), I'll leave things well alone I think ,
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Helen, as with all domestic appliances installed in bathrooms (like water heaters etc) they should have a "direct connection", coming from a fused, double pole switch and not a "plug in" type socket and plug, due to the risk of electric shock in a wet and damp area. Considering the possibility of being wet and bare footed in a bathroom, there should never be the chance or temptation of handling an electric plug in such circumstances.
Apart from the actual risk involved, you are putting yourself in a serious and comprimised position if something should happen to one of your guests. If the installation I said cannot be installed, at least change the exicting socket outlet to a protected type of sentry socket (that's what they are called in the UK) with an incorporated residual current device with protection of a minimum of 30 mA.
I hope I didn't complicate things for you!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The plug can't be reached without moving the washing machine. I can't even be certain of the type of connection as you can't even see the plug. Not sure how the guests did. The EDF inspected the installation so who knows. The plumber is coming sometime soon to mend a leaking sink, so my friend will point it out to him.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Helen

I find it strange that the guest that complained were French. It is perfectly normal to have plug points in the bathrooms here, we have them in all of ours, and they were all fitted by a very good electrician. I see no reason whatsoever that a washing machine plugged in should be more of a problem than, say, a hairdryer.

The rules in the UK are much more stringent, and the only socket allowed is a shaver socket, and light switches should be on pull cords. We have ordinary switches right next to the sink.

If your development is new then I would just ignore the comment, and if it is ever raised again just say it meets the relevant standards.

Ju
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That's what I though too Ju, they found all sorts of strange things to complain about, the garden furniture (or rather lack of it) -it's snowed most of the week too, and the tv aerial. Even before they arrived there was queries about bedrooms, etc.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

there are very stringent requirements (quite new).

Bathrooms are divided into zones, with different rules for each.

But isn't it sensible to put a bathroom plug high up, regardless of which zone it is in ?

Don't worry about it !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I would actually say it is safer hidden behind the appliance than within reach though.They did put a shaver socket and a hotel type hairdryer in there though.
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

If the plug is not easily accessible, as it is behind the washing machine itself, the risk is minimal, so I wouldn't worry. Just ensure that the humidty/condensation level cannot be too high, as this is a potential hazard with plugs and sockets unless they conform to "IP65" levels. If it was my personal house, I wouldn't worry, but with guests who can be potential trouble seekers, I would fix it, for obvious reasons.
As for the hair-dryer, I would put a small label which states "do not use if wet or in bare feet" as most hotels do. This too is so that they are warned. Apart from being a rentor like all of you, I do this work for a living and litigation risks, especially with tourists looking for a way to make money (only a very minute percentage, but alas, they exist!) can be expensive!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Helen,

If its a new property ie one year old you should be able to query the builder as to whether it was built to regulations. You could get advise from another surveyor/builder. If its not to regs then he will need to change it or you could claim it against your builders insurance.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com