Buy a 1 bedroom or 2??

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Musetta

Buy a 1 bedroom or 2??

Post by Musetta »

I would love somone's opinion!
We are choosing between two apartments to buy in Campania - they are both fairly equal except for the size (nice views, terrace, walk to town/transportation). We plan on only using the home a few weeks per year, so we want to buy what will rent the best! We can easily afford the one bedroom, but could stretch it for the two...so...who do you think we would be renting to in S. Italy the most? Families (who, I would assume would prefer the 2 bed), or couples? (in, wich case, there is no point spending the extra cash!) What do you think?
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We sleep seven in three bedrooms (in a rather cooler clime). It sells out over school holidays very easily but for the rest of the year, we have more space than needed and we rent with low occupancy discounts.

I'll await further advice from the forum - my guess would be that two bedrooms would be better than one. Even couples sometimes want a bit of room on holiday - too often we leave our spacious houses to holiday in overcrowded accomodation (not to mention sitting with our knees up to our chins in planes for hours to get there).

John
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

John,

Thank you so much for your input. We started thinking about where WE would be happiest, and came to the same conclusion...that if we can swing it, the two bedroom would offer us a lot more space and comfort.

But...we just now came accross an absolutely charming little one bedroom - it has a lot of character and a great view (but no terrace) and a perfect location...and it is HALF the price of a two bedroom; it would mean we could pay cash and not worry about mortages and renting it to just cover bills...but...it is very small...40 square meters. Our broker thinks that is way too small for two people (it is empty, so hard judge space) but when I spent this morning looking at rental sites, that does not seem to be out of the question for a studio or one bedroom rental. (and it is so cheap that we could rent it out very cheaply as well) I am not so concerned for our personal use - I would never spend any time in the apartment anyway while I'm on vacation :-)

Anyone have any more thoughts?!
Thank you!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I don't have experience of your location but I do have a village house in France that is less than 40 sq.m. and it does accommodate 2 people - it depends how you use the space. Lots of light is important with a small property. I have the whole thing as one space except the bathroom. The bed area is on a mezzanine. If it was 4 separate rooms it would be too small I think.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Paolo,
What a lovely website you have! Thanks for sharing - I looked at the photos of your little place and what a difference to see that size space decorated, etc. This one is not quite as open as yours (very tall ceilings, but not enough for that nice sleep loft you have!)- an entry, Kitchen/Living Area and double bedroom - but it does have an extra attic that we are going to convert into a small child's bedroom and extra storage.

We put a deposit on it today :-)

Thank you for the advice!