Which Camera?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
CarolineH

Which Camera?

Post by CarolineH »

All I know about cameras is how to press the button to take a pic :oops: My 14-yo daughter wants to help me update my website and take some better room shots, together with perhaps a video scan around each room. She says that I need a better camera - I'm sure she's right. I currently have a Konica Minolta Dimage G600, which someone cast off in my direction :oops:

I am willing to read a manual and can get reasonably technical, but have never really had time or inclination for photography in the past, but am a willing learner.

As for budget, I have no idea ... clearly not in the 1000's because it would be wasted.

Suggestions, please.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Caroline, I bought a Panasonic G3 last December for just that purpose. Pleased with the camera but I've still not got round to taking many shots of the apartment. :oops:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Maybe this thread will be of help.
viewtopic.php?t=12735
But maybe be it will not; as even "our" Jimbo has not made up his mind.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Thanks Ian & Irene, but if there is one thing that I AM sure about it's that I'm not in the same league as Jimbo! I also don't need one which does RAW - I have looked at some of the suggestions on their which are useful.

Helen, does your Panasonic take reasonable quality videos?

How big should my wide angle be in order to take a decent room shot? The difficulty in getting decent photos is what has spurred me into thinking about a video (personally, I hate videos because my bandwidth is so slow).
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I haven't got the wide-angle lens yet, I'm still saving up the amazon vouchers and pocket money :wink: .
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"Which" tested cameras this month - their cheapest "Best Buy" was the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 at £380.

I imagine from the numbering that this is related to Helen's camera.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes Mols, that is my camera.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've got an old Panasonic DMC LX2 and love it. If I had the money I'd buy Helen's, though!
Mine is a compact and has a 24 wide lens, most compacts seem to be 28 minimum.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Moliere wrote:"Which" tested cameras this month - their cheapest "Best Buy" was the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 at £380.

I imagine from the numbering that this is related to Helen's camera.

Mols
Blimey! I've found it on amazon.fr for 600€, that's a bit of a price difference!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Try Amazon UK.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... g3&x=0&y=0

I think £380 is the price for the camera body without a lens.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

HelenB wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... g3&x=0&y=0

Isn't this the same thing? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G ... 898&sr=8-2
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Don McCullin said:
I use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job.
I arrived in France with a BMW saloon but realised that it was hopeless for my new life as a rental owner and quickly changed it for a Berlingo-type utility vehicle that allows me to tow a trailer, put a fridge-freezer in the back and carry a chicken house on the roof rack. Equally, the car is capable of breezing through the 1500-mile round trip for the photo shoot that I’m undertaking next week. I’d suggest that a similar approach might be helpful when selecting a new camera to publicise a rental business. Either employ a professional photographer or adopt the professional’s approach to your photography – just as you adopted a professional approach to running your rental business. And, what you want the camera to do should dictate what you need to buy.

Just as my new car needed a roof rack and a trailer to realise its full potential, so – if you’re planning to shoot interiors – you should give serious thought to (definitely) adding a tripod and (maybe) a stand-alone flash, a wider lens, editing software and RAW capability to your wish list. Also, consider that, as you become more adept at shooting pictures (and you will!), equipment that can grow with you is very liberating. So, an interchangeable lens camera that allows manual control over its decisions might be a wiser investment for the future than being railroaded by a highly seductive but dictatorial compact. And, look closely at second-hand stuff – a lot of lightly-used but excellent equipment gets discarded in favour of the latest shiny kid on the block camera – ebay is a valuable resource for my professional colleagues.

Finally, never forget that, although modern cameras are technical tour de forces, they remain what they always were – a box that records what’s passing before it or what you place in front of it. And it is you – the photographer – with your imagination and your shooting list that is the important factor, not the camera. Which is just a tool.
How big should my wide angle be in order to take a decent room shot?
24mm wide angle is just about OK but 20mm would be better. I use a 20-35mm zoom and a 14mm for my interiors).

Good luck Caroline. Few things are more exciting than choosing a new camera with all its delicious possibilities!
Jim
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I arrived in France with a BMW saloon but realised that it was hopeless for my new life as a rental owner and quickly changed it for a Berlingo-type utility vehicle that allows me to tow a trailer, put a fridge-freezer in the back and carry a chicken house on the roof rack. [/quote]
I was a Merc girl in the UK, but traded in for a Pug 406 estate which has done me proud - massive boot for the recycling bins and roof rails for all other eventualities - its done over 300,000km and I feel the time has come to replace it - but what with ... I keep coming back to another 406 break!!! But that's all another topic ...
Jimbo wrote:Either employ a professional photographer or adopt the professional’s approach to your photography – just as you adopted a professional approach to running your rental business.
I have considered "getting someone in" and my Dad is very adept and has a great camera (not sure of make) but I find that whenever he is here the gites are not ready to be staged (either full of guests in the summer, or undergoing work in the winter) and it's not always sunny through the right windows, so I thought I should be ready to take the right picture at the right time.
Jimbo wrote:if you’re planning to shoot interiors – you should give serious thought to (definitely) adding a tripod and (maybe) a stand-alone flash, a wider lens, editing software and RAW capability to your wish list. Also, consider that, as you become more adept at shooting pictures (and you will!), equipment that can grow with you is very liberating. So, an interchangeable lens camera that allows manual control over its decisions might be a wiser investment for the future than being railroaded by a highly seductive but dictatorial compact. And, look closely at second-hand stuff – a lot of lightly-used but excellent equipment gets discarded in favour of the latest shiny kid on the block camera – ebay is a valuable resource for my professional colleagues.
My savvy 14yo tells me that I need a tripod, too. Thoughts of putting the tripod in the middle of the room and turning around either with video or with several stitchable photos to produce something like Greenbarn has on his site. However I have found that in order to photograph one end of the room I need to be placed at the opposing end - so have thought that a tripod would not be useful - perhaps (probably) I'm wrong here.
Jimbo wrote:Finally, never forget that, although modern cameras are technical tour de forces, they remain what they always were – a box that records what’s passing before it or what you place in front of it. And it is you – the photographer – with your imagination and your shooting list that is the important factor, not the camera. Which is just a tool.
Umm, yes well, this is what I perceive to be my biggest problem! However, I have my Lizzie to help me and she is a budding graphic designer, very ambitious and much quicker than her old Mum, so I think we can make headway together.
Jimbo wrote: 24mm wide angle is just about OK but 20mm would be better. I use a 20-35mm zoom and a 14mm for my interiors).
Aargh - now help I thought that bigger was better - why is 20mm better than 24mm?? This Panasonic that is mentioned above states 14-42mm Lumix G VARIO f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS Lens - would that be OK?
Jimbo wrote:Good luck Caroline. Few things are more exciting than choosing a new camera with all its delicious possibilities!

Thanks, Jimbo :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

CarolineH wrote:
HelenB wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... g3&x=0&y=0

Isn't this the same thing? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G ... 898&sr=8-2
Caroline, that doesn't have a viewfinder which the G3 does, that was important for me esp when taking photos in sunlight on snow, it is difficult to see the display clearly.

My apartment manager is going to go into my place soon to take some shots for her own site. Trouble is the photographer concerned really likes fish-eye shots which I am not keen on at all. I think they give a false sense of proportion.