Tax returns and accountants

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Cassis

Tax returns and accountants

Post by Cassis »

Does anyone know a decent accountant (preferably in the north-west) who could advise us on whether our B&B needs to be registered with anyone before we can offset our building expenses in 2005 against income, and to help us with our first tax return in France?

Thank you

Phil and Jude
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you want an English speaking accountant, you could try the angloinfo forum
http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/
otherwise have you any friends or neighbours who could recommend one - or try pages jaunes? I'm not an expert at all, but think you would need to be registered with the Chambre de Commerce as a business in order to have all your expenses deducted.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

A Micro Bic could be the answer.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I've managed to find an English accountant based in Normandy. I don't think, from what I've read here and on other forums, that registering with a C of C is appropriate for a B&B with just 3 rooms which is a secondary income source. Our mayor works for the Cof C in Alencon and he didn't think it was either necessary or a good idea for a wee business like ours to register with a C of C. I mentioned micro bic to the accountant on the phone - if that's the way to do it I'm sure he'll tell us once he's had a look at our situation. I'll post a follow-up here to let you know!

Phil
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you register as a micro bic, you won't be able to offset all your expenses, you get a global 28% allowance. However, there are other advantages in being a micro-bic. Your accountant will be able to advise you.