Electricity charges

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
MissP

Post by MissP »

I can see my post has sparked some interesting debate!!

I'm still new to this wonderful world of Spanish electricity - particularly the fact that you can sign up for different levels of supply!

Out of interest, what level do you all have? I've just checked our Iberdrola account and it says we have:

Power 5750.0W
Voltage 1X230

We have a 2 bedroom town house with 3 air conditioning units and the usual other essentials such as tv, kettle, toaster etc. Do you think the level we're on is adequate? We haven't used the aircon yet!

Also, while I'm here, we had our first bill on 7th January covering the two month period since we got the keys. Then got another last week for the period 7-25th January! Seems odd that we got a second bill so soon?

Mp
CSE

Post by CSE »

Regard the meter cutting the power this is what we are referring too. A newspaper wrote back in Nov. 2014.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/ec ... 785645.htm
That article describes what the first consumers to have the new intelligent meters install had found.
It what caught our attention are the words
El problema puede estar en la mayor sensibilidad del ICP integrado en el contador,
The problem may be with the increased sensitivity of ICP integrated at the meter,
We had assumed that there is a ICP integrated with the meter.hence the reason for saying that you had to call out the gods of light to reconnect you.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

MissP wrote:Hi everyone - in the interests of not starting a new post, I'm tagging this here!

I'm interested in the discussion above about how to reduce the likelihood of customers overusing air con. In your experience, is it usually enough to just explain nicely how pricey it can be and ask them to use sparingly? We have ceiling fans in all rooms, so I would suggest they are often enough unless the weather is really hot.

We did wonder about saying we include a certain amount of aircon use in the price, but the meter will be read after they leave and any excessive electricity usage could be retained from their security deposit. (We wouldn't really be reading the meter but perhaps just mentioning it would be enough to make them use a little more carefully!?)

I'm interested in your experiences - realistically, how often do you get someone who goes way over the top and ends up costing you a fortune?? We're not actually renting our place yet, but hope to by late summer.

Thanks
MP
Going back to your original post, I have top quality, non-creaky/squeaky floor fans available (three) and air con in the two main bedrooms and the living room. The floor fans are included in the rental but the air con is charged at €70 per week. I have only had about three rentals where they have opted to pay for air con.
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Casscat wrote:The floor fans are included in the rental but the air con is charged at €70 per week. I have only had about three rentals where they have opted to pay for air con.
I've done a few different tests over varying period of time to monitor elec usage and have our meter read between all bookings.

As Iberdrola rates currently stand, in a worse-case scenario it wouldn't be possible to exceed 9€ in costs per day (even with air-con on 24 x7). This includes ALL charges (e.g. standing charges, IVA etc). For simplicity I round this up to 10€ per day and assume that's what it will cost for every booking regardless of time of year. We don't tend to go to Spain anymore in July/Aug but if I did then I wouldn't be able to cope without the air-con.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…