What to do and where to stay with only 24 hours in Mallorca?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Beachcondo wrote:Any local food that typical for Mallorca?
Try the 'Tumbet' which is a typical Mallorquin vegetable dish of Aubergines, tomatoes and red peppers. It may sound bland but if you go to the right restaurant it will taste fantastic.
I often try making back at home but without the sun drenched ingredients on offer in Mallorca it just doesn't taste the same!
brenda

Post by brenda »

Try a ´Frito Mallorquin´ - Liver, Potatoes, Leek, Olive Oil, Garlic and whatever else the Chef fancies throwing in! Doesn´t sound too interesting but, cooked properly, tastes wonderful. Nicest we ever had was at Lluc Monastry.

The already mentioned ´Tumbet´ is another personal favourite from our very frequent visits to Mallorca (we used to have a place there and still return regularly to visit old friends).
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Tumbet sounds like my cup of tea! Frito Mallorquin might be a bit of a challenge to get my hubby to eat. He hates liver.
Any good ideas of a restaurant that can cook this properly?
Being a novice to the area makes you fall into the tourist traps so easily. :wink:
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
James3214

Post by James3214 »

I could recommend the restuarant on Cala Anguila beach near Porto Cristo but it is over on the East coast about an hours drive by car. Just find a Mallorquin restuarant in Palma and see if they have it on the menu. Ask at your hotel as well.
brenda

Post by brenda »

There is a row of pavement restaurants virtualy opposite the Cathedral/park where you can try several Mallorquin dishes in Tapas sized portions - will give you a sampler and if you like it you can then order a larger portion.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I second the tumbet suggestion - and actually had it at that very beach bar at Cala Anguila yesterday!! :D
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
It was a delight to be in Palma de Mallorca with 25C after Sevillas' 38C.

San Lorenzo hotel was charming!
We will try tumbet next time on the island. It is absolutely a place to return to!
Pessimists only get positive surprises.