At the risk of sounding cheesy

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
booboo

At the risk of sounding cheesy

Post by booboo »

We just received our second booking :) When the guy emailed back to say he'd payed the desposit, he added at the end they where looking forward to staying at lavender house!

What do you reply? We are delighted you have choosen to stay....... delighted to have you stay at.....????
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Congrats booboo! However, just because it's your second booking, you don't want to let on to the guests how new you are to the business! :wink: I would send the sort of reply that you will send to any future guest. If that will use the phrase delighted or some such then go ahead. My reply is very low key and I just thank my guests for a returned booking form or such like. But I'm not an effusive person generally..... :)
katz

Post by katz »

I would reply in line with the tone of the email you received, it would be a pity not to acknowledge his comment and if you are delighted why not tell him? 8)
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I always thank them for "choosing to stay at Narrows Cottage"... "for their holiday or while they're in North Idaho, etc.." whatever seems most appropriate for their particular reason for being in the area if I know it.

Congratulations on your second booking, quite exciting!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I always thank them as soon as they ask to have th ebank details sent.
I thin thank them when I acknowledge the deposit.

I would say let your personality shine through! If you're thrilled that they've chosen your place let them know.

In our first season I told most guests that it was our first year and to be gentle with us :lol: It was a lovely experience in the main and it felt very much like an adverture and less business like than we are now.

Enjoy!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I think it's easy to appear too eager when you get your first booking(s). Although it's exciting, keep calm and professional, say whatever you feel is appropriate but be careful not to overdo it.

PS - Congrats! :D
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

kendalcottages wrote: be careful not to overdo it
.. is my husband's approach, and
katz wrote:if you are delighted why not tell him? 8)
.. is my own.

I'm always getting criticised for being over-the-top, but I definitely believe in this:
Mouse wrote:I would say let your personality shine through!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, I'm in the second camp too - enthusiasm is catching; there's still a delicate balance however, at least at the initial enquiry stage, as one doesn't want to sound pushy either!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
katz

Post by katz »

I agree that there is a delicate balance and I do consider who I am responding to and the tone of their own email.

The very first thing mentioned on our website is that it is our holiday home - so if I'm not enthusiastic about it I can't expect others to be! I am actually quite a conservative person which surprises many who don't know me well :D
tavi

Post by tavi »

Agree with everyone, be pleased but professional.

I always add a line to assure guests that if they have any more questions or need any more info before they come, they only have to ask.

Congrats on your 2nd booking!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

tavi wrote:I always add a line to assure guests that if they have any more questions or need any more info before they come, they only have to ask.
I do too, but at the enquiry stage. Then, if they book, I probably say something similar again, such as "as I said earlier, if you have any further questions, ask away!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavi

Post by tavi »

:D
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

This is the first line of my booking form receipt email (notice the D-word!):
Dear xxxxx
Very many thanks for your booking form, received today. We're delighted that you're coming to spend some time with us and are certain that you'll fall in love with the Ariège!
I don't think that's OTT, and by the time I'm sending it I've usually had some quite personal contact with the guests, just because it's my style to try and create a relationship with enquirers from the start. The most important thing is that it reflects who I am.

Agree that enthusiasm is contagious - and it sells. This afternoon I took a booking from guests who said they'd been 'seduced' by my enthusiastic presentation of our house, our style and our region on our website. :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Agree - it's an advantage not to be buttoned up in this business and if you love your home and area, to share it!
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thanks again everyone, yet again you've been great. The guy was very eager to book. From what you all said I think to acknowledge his enthusiasm would be the right thing!

When I spoke to him on the phone he told me his well travelled dog would be coming, I think I will also say something like;

We are delighted you have choosen to stay here in the lovely haloze hills and we are looking forward to meeting your four legged friend.

All of which is true as I had to stop myself from asking what his dog name is etc..
I am a big animal lover and I know how important peoples pets are to them and how they are recieved by others.
Thanks again, you helped ease my neurotic mind :shock: :)