Fosse Septique alternative?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Just for interest purposes....3000 litre fosses 'en plastique' - around 500 Euros in Brico Depot. The pipework's relatively simple to install yourself. A friend of ours has one installed in his new-build. Didn't cost him anywhere near 10'000 Euros. The Maitre d'Ouvre approved the installation.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Stu & Syb wrote:Just for interest purposes....3000 litre fosses 'en plastique' - around 500 Euros in Brico Depot. The pipework's relatively simple to install yourself. A friend of ours has one installed in his new-build. Didn't cost him anywhere near 10'000 Euros. The Maitre d'Ouvre approved the installation.
Depending on the nature of the land, the excavation and installation can be quite expensive. In my area these is a lot of rock in the sub-soil and occasionally blasting is required to break it up before it can be removed. It all adds up.

Alan
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

we had a 4'ooo litre fosse with pump, filter etc installed 2004 for 3'000 euro to cover i kitchen,2 en-suites, then last year we had an 10,'ooo litre fosse installed with pump, piping , an enormous soak away pit filled with aggregates etc for approx 6,000 euro to cover eventually 4 en-suites etc...we were specific about the over capacity... but then its best to have enough....not any blockages or overflows?
chef who will try anything!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

chrismooney wrote:we had a 4'ooo litre fosse with pump, filter etc installed 2004 for 3'000 euro to cover i kitchen,2 en-suites, then last year we had an 10,'ooo litre fosse installed with pump, piping , an enormous soak away pit filled with aggregates etc for approx 6,000 euro to cover eventually 4 en-suites etc...we were specific about the over capacity... but then its best to have enough....not any blockages or overflows?
I think you did the right thing!

The fosse for our house was under-specified and needs very regular attention. In our first year, when we were completely naïve, we found our guest bedrooms were awash with water and the carpets floating. Fortunately it was clean water but it was coming from the fosse which was overloaded and blocked. The pompier arrived within minutes, took out all the furniture and carpets, pumped the whole place dry and called the fosse man. The fosse man arrived within minutes, emptied and cleaned the fosse and flushed all the pipes. The pompier service was free but their calendars are now very expensive, the fosse man charged me 150€ which I thought was very reasonable. It happened on a Sunday - that’s rural France for you.

The fosse for our "gites" serves a number of properties (9 in total), was over-specified and looks after itself. It has required cleaning once in the last twelve years.

Peace of mind and convenience can't be valued but they are priceless if they can be achieved.

If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing properly.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

The Maitre d'Ouvre approved the installation.
This is just not possible here - it has to be a water engineer and can't be your architect or maitre d'ouevre. Do take full advice because any fosse that doesn't meet the spec will have to be replaced with one that does. I'm not saying that it can't be a DIY job for someone able and with more time than us but it will still have to meet quite stringent regulations; And as Alan says it's better to get it right first time round - a fosse can be the source of many problems.
paolo

Post by paolo »

enid wrote:This is just not possible here - it has to be a water engineer and can't be your architect or maitre d'ouevre.
I think that, where I am at least, you HAVE to have certification from a water engineer.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

I believe that to be the case all over France. However it is a fairly recent law, so if you are taking advice from someone who built one 4 years ago then their advice could be out of date.

Ju
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

while on this rather pretty subject i would like to ask a question lol

the place i have just bought has a septic tank but i would like to put in a fosse totes eau now while i have the cash instead of waiting a few years until i have to install one to comply with the new regs. the real estate agents told me that it wouldnt cost a lot(about 2 to 3 grand) because the hole is already there etc. but i was wondering if anyone else has replaced an old septic tank for the new types and if it did cost a bomb.
Becky
gh

Post by gh »

As ever in France things take time, the 1992 Waste-Water Law in now slowly happening. The first thing I suggest is go to your Maire and ask when it is happening for you. You may get some help towards the up-grading.

Our WWTP (waste water treatment plant) was installed early 2003 with the 2005 Maire Plan of Action Deadline in mind, when we bought; only a small tank was in place, which was situated right beside the kitchen :? but hey ho, its France, and our Commune is, shall we say, not up to speed :) Each person produces approx. 1m3 waste water per week we opted for a large 10,000ltr WWTP as we have a large house accomodating 10 plus the usual dishwasher, laundry etc and of course the new regs means you require a certificate when its emptied.

Sorry I cant give you price comparisions, no idea of your occupancy, your Maire has the S.P.A.N.C list of Professionals who you could approach for a devis.

You will have noticed that your water bill contains a line called “Redevance Service Public d’Assainissement Non Collectif�. Basically this is a charge applied by your water company to help finance the implementation of the law. The cost does vary depending on where you live.

I have sent you a factsheet by pm its rather longwinded for the forum.

John (not Helen) :lol:
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

thanks for the link! what a great site for french virgins (will that get erased i wonder? lol) like me lol
Becky