Wintering in S Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Zoot

Wintering in S Spain

Post by Zoot »

After putting up with 17 winters living in SW France I've decided that enough is enough. With the prospect of off loading all work commitments at the end of the school term have decided to move south for January and February next year and would appreciate some destination ideas. Thinking, probably of Southern Spain or Portugal and ideally would like to be in a coastal town, not a holiday resort, that has some kind of cultural life and history. I'm not yet looking for a specific property, just some general thoughts . Many thanks.
Kaz D

Post by Kaz D »

Cadiz would be ideal. Lots of history and lovely beaches
joddle

Post by joddle »

Have to agree Cadiz is a good choice, also Valencia perhaps - not so far south but good climate and property prices OK and loads of history.

Myown opinion is that the south of spain is prettier then the rest - classic "spanish and flamenco" styles of property whils the middles section ie cosa blanca is not quite a spretty but has loads to offer in the way of mountains and scenery etc.

However most coastal properties are high in price compared with the mansions you can buy only a little further inland. Avoid the holiday traps and the ex-pat enclaves such as Calpe, Denia and Javea though (unless you want british beer and fish and chips!)
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Southern Spain is certainly lovely, so many fascinating cities to visit if you base yourself there......Granada, Cordoba, Cadiz, Jerez, Seville....all are just stunning.

Or, how about the town of Tavira, in the Algarve.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavira_Municipality.

Authentic Portuguese coastal town with lots of history, culture, art, etc...
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Thanks very much for those pointers. Joddle: not thinking of buying, well not until property prices stop falling. Tavi: Tavira looks wonderful.
Loads of researching to be done over the next few months!
brendan

Southern Spain

Post by brendan »

Have pm'd you
lorca

Post by lorca »

Málaga! Beautiful, historic and completely un-touristy - with one of the best climates in Europe.
If not now, when?
brenda

Post by brenda »

I heartily second Lorcas suggestion of Málaga - a fascinating city that is so sadly missed by most visitors to Andalucia who only ever see its airport.

Best Winter climate and some of teh nicest people you will meet anywhere.

Tarifa and Cadiz can be cold and windy in Winter - Tarifa isn´t the windsurfing capital of Europe for nothing!
Last edited by brenda on Sat May 19, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavi

Post by tavi »

aren't you thinking of TARIFA Brenda - as the windsurfing capital?

Not Tavira....that's in Portugal :lol:
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Thanks again everyone; Malaga looks worth investigating.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I would like to add my support for Malaga too - we live about 20 mins from there. It is often over looked but the powers that be are trying to redress that now and are showing it's many facets off to the cruise passengers.
It is steeped in history, great cultural and social life, birthplace of Picasso, many beaches right on the doorstep - perhaps not as popular or refined as Barcelona, but certainly not the Ugly sister, and similar in that it is a coastal city with a grand history , just smaller. We have our street bodegas selling chilled sweet malaga wine and ice cold prawns to lunch time workers - delicious and atmospheric...and the ferias, semana santa, etc.,
Malaga now boasts an excellent infrastructure and you can pick up a cruise or airline to most places in the world from here - all close to hand.
Last winter, we had very little rain, just the usual night time showers in November and this year again in April. Some years, the rainfall in winter can be heavier - it tends to run in 10 year cycles but we are not due a really wet one for a few years yet :D
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Probably going to focus in on Malaga for a winter month. Anyone have any pointers to rental agencies specific to the city? Or have, or know of someone, with a 2 bed apartment city centre? Just to reiterate we'll need to be in the town and not outside, however nice the village might be.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Very pleased you´ve decided on Málaga.

This site may have something
http://www.only-apartments.com/apartments-malaga.html

We know the city quite well so if you have any questions re locations etc just ask
If not now, when?
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Thanks lorca; very nice site! Though the rates for January seem to be higher than I was expecting. Maybe there's a demand for some winter sunshine.
lorca

Post by lorca »

To be honest I don´t think there is a huge number of holiday rentals in the city yet

You may get a better deal if you Google in Spanish (piso alquilar vacaciones Málaga "centro historico" )

There are a few on Niumba

http://www.niumba.com/index.php/cod.sea ... o/kms.0.25
If not now, when?