Water supply when not connected to mains

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
harcourtv57

Water supply when not connected to mains

Post by harcourtv57 »

Hi All

Am looking for some info on water supply when a property is not connected to the mains - one of the properties we have viewed does not have a connection at present.

However, I understand that this is fairly common - it does have a 'deposito' but not a well, and we have been told by the agent that it may be possible to arrange a connection from a neighbour. But have heard that you can also get water delivered on a regular basis - does anyone have any experience/advice on this please?
Vera

Post by Vera »

I would advise that you check directly with the local water company. Lack of utilities can be due to legality issues with the property.
I would do this myself and not believe anything an agent or promoter told me.

It is possible to get water delivered, Pepsipuss has experience of this.

I don't know where you are looking but we have 12,700 illegal properties in our part of Almeria, buyer beware.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Vera wrote:I would advise that you check directly with the local water company. Lack of utilities can be due to legality issues with the property.
I would do this myself and not believe anything an agent or promoter told me.

It is possible to get water delivered, Pepsipuss has experience of this.

I don't know where you are looking but we have 12,700 illegal properties in our part of Almeria, buyer beware.
Excellent advice from Vera - although certainly not always the case, a lack of mains utility services can be a sign of an illegal build and, sadly, you cannot trust what agents say. Get your lawyer to do a thorough search.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks both - we are in Mallorca and its a rural property.

I know that there can be problems with legality so will certainly get this checked out if we decide to go any further. But its not the first one we have come across and apparently a lot of the more rural properties are not connected yet as its prohibitively expensive and so families that have lived there for a long time haven't bothered.

We are being careful and have done some research - but did fall in love with the property on first sight!
Marks

Post by Marks »

harcourtv57 wrote:but did fall in love with the property on first sight!
Let your head rule your heart. Good advice from others, check and then double check the legality of the build. If there is any doubt walk away.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Marks wrote:
harcourtv57 wrote:but did fall in love with the property on first sight!
Let your head rule your heart. Good advice from others, check and then double check the legality of the build. If there is any doubt walk away.
Ditto - and even if it is legal, I´d get sound advice about the viability of a proper water supply. We have several Spanish friends in the campo who are not on the mains, but they all have wells. Pepsi may be able to advise.
If not now, when?
joddle

Post by joddle »

Good advice from everyone - we almost got caught in an illegal build - all seemed fine - even the local council seemed to approve as did the local officials - (one or two are now in prison) yet we had a feeling about something and so got our spanish lawyer to investigate and he came up with a whole raft of problems so we did not buy (eg the signature on the land deeds did not match the land ownership docs and application docs - and utility supplies had not been applied for) - and years later some of the houses were actually demolished!

Personally I would not use a english lawyer but a good spanish one - they know all the wrinkles and see the little things many other could miss. It helps having a spanish wife though!! Good communicaiton is essential.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Harcourt! Are you enjoying yourself in Mallorca?

Just to put you mind at ease...over here many many houses are on a well or deposito system, so it's not a concern if it's a rural house. I would only worry if it was in an urbanisation and not connected, same with electric.

I know quite a few people living in houses with depositos and actually ours was built with one too (we're on well water and in the village, but they put one is a precaution against problems with the well supply).
Basically you 'buy in' water as and when. They come and fill it up and off you go. Simple. Of course the tricky bit comes in conserving water, but sometimes houses have a secondry deposito that collects rainwater...which you can them use for plants etc.

Don't know the cost, but it's not prohibitive.

Mousie
x
p.s. sorry we didn't get to meet up...long story but we never got to Majorca when we were supposed to due to a mini crisis (all over now thankfully).
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
brendan

Post by brendan »

It's very common for rural properties to have a well or a deposito and it doesn't mean that the property is illegal.

However, many properties are illegal in Spain - it's a rather grey area.

A good lawyer is a must. Take a look at local forums to see what local problems are and, perhaps, for a referral to a trustworthy lawyer.

Spanish lawyers are not the same as our lawyers - you can't trust them in the same way as you would trust a solicitor in Britain.
mimosa

Post by mimosa »

brendan wrote:
Spanish lawyers are not the same as our lawyers - you can't trust them in the same way as you would trust a solicitor in Britain.
??????????

As they would say here "Que fuerte!"

Ummmmm what exactly do you mean by this?

A bad experience with one should not mean that all are the same.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks everyone for your replies - sorry not to have posted sooner but for some reason I didn't get the post alerts.

Well the update is that there are some problems with the deeds to the house, which the agent says are being resolved - in the meantime we continue to look!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Hmmmmm.

We were keen on an isolated house with great views, pool, loads of space etc. Turns out it was 2 old cottages linked together and not legalised. The agent assured us that the legalisation would take place at the notary. Like %&*! it would and not with me standing there :twisted:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
joddle

Post by joddle »

brendan wrote:However, many properties are illegal in Spain - it's a rather grey area.

A good lawyer is a must. Spanish lawyers are not the same as our lawyers - you can't trust them in the same way as you would trust a solicitor in Britain.
I would take issue with this - a good Spanish lawyer will see far more than most english lawyers - and the reason many english people fall foul of the systems is becasue they have used an english lawyer as they cant communicate properly with a spanish one. Of course there are the sharks out there - english ones as well out for a quick profit from the poor saps with money to burn - and hiding behind the language is a good excuse for some.

If you have problems with the lanuage dont just go for any english lawyer - use one with a good reputation - and if you can look for a spanish one who speaks english if your spanish is not up to scratch.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.