Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Marks wrote:
Margaret wrote:The one who booked was actually a Labour Shadow Minister
Reason enough to refuse the booking :wink:
:lol: :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well my MP just "clarified" things for me in a letter.
Of course, there are and will be problems in some cases. It is precisely for such cases that the "objective justification/good reason" test exists. On the one hand, any self catering operator acting proportionately to achieve a legitimate aim by refusing to rent out to young people (such as noise reduction; damage prevention) should have nothing to worry about; on the other hand, perfectly well-behaved young people are not automatically excluded.
So, according to my MP, having a legitimate aim (rather than any emprical evidence) is sufficient grounds for refusing a booking.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Windy wrote:So, according to my MP, having a legitimate aim (rather than any emprical evidence) is sufficient grounds for refusing a booking.
I think, perhaps, my interpretation of your MP's comment would have read:
having a legitimate aim (rather than any emprical evidence) will probably be sufficient grounds for refusing a booking
:wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Windy

Post by Windy »

yes I suppose the use of the word "should" is the give away eh?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Windy wrote:yes I suppose the use of the word "should" is the give away eh?
Actually, it was the fact that he is a politician that gave me the clue :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Windy sort of good news, but the MP should have written IANAL or IANAJ (Judge).
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Still waiting to hear from my MP!!!!!!!!!!!!
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Age discrimination in relation to health and safety is interesting.

In a three story house (we have a few of these) an 80 year old not that quick on their feet is far more at risk than someone 40 years younger.

Where safety could reasonably argued...
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
CSE

Post by CSE »

Woooo hold on a minute Charles. Your posting does assume a lot and could be considered ageist. :twisted: :wink:
Someone maybe 40 years old, but doe that necessarily mean they are a more abled bodied person that an 80 year old?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

We used to spend days on health and safety for elderly people in a previous business.

Of course someone aged 40 might be disabled in some way. And, of course, someone aged 80 could be relatively sprightly. However, it was a clear and reasonable assumption estimating possible risk that 80 year olds would be more at risk of, say fire, than 40 year olds.

Of course it is sensible to check if anyone has disabilities as well as to consider their age. In many countries the law allows for this sort of thing when people reach a certain age in relation to driving licences.

It is a fact that when we get older we are nearly always not quite so nimble. Even at 57 I find I cannot blast though a day's plastering as I used to be able to do.... at about 3 pm I flag and just about do the job.

In the old days I would be down the pub later on. Now I sit worn out in the armchair looking at some utter nonsense on TV.
Last edited by charles cawley on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No web-site for now.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

precisely charles, for that reason, i cannot allow people of that particular age group to sleep om my 3rd floor. the windows are not on the street side, so not accessible for the fire brigade. when i explain the two flights of stairs - after which most guests that age tell me that they live in a single floor apartment - it is usually the reason they decide not to book.

i just received a booking for the beginning of august, a granddad with his 11 year old granddaughter... so i did hesitate. when i heard they are on a cycling tour and will 'do' some 50 kilometers that day, i decided to accept the booking.

in my opinion, it is not simply a case of age discrimination, but common sense in combination with your accommodation. in that respect i also cannot accept families with children younger than four (except if they bring one child under the age of 6-8 months, in which case i provide a foldable cot) who have to sleep in the upper room.

we once stayed in a bungalow we hadn't booked ourselves, with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old. the 5 yr old fell from the bunk bed, the 3 yr old locked himself up in the toilet... and had to wait till maintenance personnel got him out.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

"we once stayed in a bungalow we hadn't booked ourselves, with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old. the 5 yr old fell from the bunk bed, the 3 yr old locked himself up in the toilet... and had to wait till maintenance personnel got him out."

I once locked myself into a loo in a grand house. At 3 years old it is a terrifying experience... you think you will never be rescued.

The experience you had sounded quite ghastly.
No web-site for now.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

since that experience - he cried bitterly for half an hour, indeed - i've never travelled without a screwdriver...

since then, dutch locks have 'improved'... last year another 3 yr old (no, not one of mine!) locked herself up in my bathroom... the lock could not be opened with a screwdriver!!! she panicked, but her father (very much used to open locks, since he is... a fireman! alas, i didn't have the tool he needed) got her calmed down and eventually she unlocked the door. her mom usually never left her alone in the bathroom, but went back into the bedroom to get something... in less than 10 seconds, she turned the lock!

it's one of the reasons i decided not to have children under 4 at my B&B...

getting two 75+ cyclists with their daugther and SIL, this sunday... ;-)
Marks

Post by Marks »

B&B netherlands wrote:i've never travelled without a screwdriver...
My in-laws never travelled without a rope ladder and an axe in case of fire. I kid you not.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Being locked in a loo as a 3 year old is one reason I didn't put any locks on our bathroom doors when we had small children (I do have a lock on the apartment one though, but it opens with a screwdriver).