Age discrimination

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

With the exception of one group, all the groups of young people who've stayed here have been perfectly respectable and have left the houses immaculate. On that basis I don't discriminate on the basis of age. Not ALL young people are irresponsible idiots.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I could be wrong on this, but I have a feeling that it is fine to discriminate against single sex groups. AFAIK, it doesn't contravene anything in the discrimination acts unless you specify just no all male groups, or just no all female groups, which is discrimination on the grounds of gender.

Nonetheless, it is moderately bonkers that you don't have the freedom to state that you won't have groups below a certain age because you have grounds to believe that they are likely to cause damage and/or disruption, ie discrimination against likely behaviour, not age.

An interesting thought: what would be the legalities of having a statement saying something like: "We reserve the right to refuse bookings from certain groups where our experience suggests that group may not be suitable guests for our property"? Governments seem to discriminate against football supporters compared with other people travelling - on what grounds?

PS ETA from my own perspective I'm not too worried about the change in the law and our own experiences have been much in line with what LV says, but our location isn't attractive to rowdy types; I can see where others could have a lot of cause for concern.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

i can't have 'groups', so i'm not really vulnerable in that respect. i DID have horrible guests who left not only damage, but a horrible clean-up for myself to take care of. i can never know in advance, bookings through internet mostly.

my youngest guest EVER was only fifteen... just! he paid me in bills of 5 euros 'i had my birthday recently, this is what i got from my grandparents and aunt and uncles.' he came in soaking wet... travelled by bus, to meet friends of his age for a geo caching.

my oldest guest was an 85 year old woman, arriving on an electrical bicycle, alone...

if guests don't pay respect to your property, i feel an owner should have the choice to be careful with who 'to accept'. age discrimination has nothing to do with that.

once, long ago, hubby and i arriving at a british B&B were asked 'if we were married...?' THAT certainly felt as 'not right', but was maybe a prejudice as we travelled on foot, with rugsacks.
CSE

Re: Age discrimination

Post by CSE »

kyreniagirl wrote:.........How dare they tell me who can stay in my house who can't!!!!.......
"They" already do... have you heard about sex discrimination?

I agree with la vache!
"Not ALL young people are irresponsible idiots."
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

How do you ascertain "who" your guests are Mousie? Do you ask for DOB or something?
I do actually ask ages on the booking form, but I only started using that last year...and sometimes can't be bothered to chase it up...so I ascertain from what they say, the way they phrase things, questions asked.
I can tell a hen party a mile off now :wink:
Plus I also have it very clearly stated on my information that the villa isn't suitable for loud gatherings, parties or the playing of loud music.

Also - because I offer a £100 discount off for family groups (or 6 adults or less) people are usually at pains on the first enquiry to tell me they're family. If they're adults and they don't mention the set up then I ask a few chatty questions, have they been before, are they looking for close proximity to beaches or clubs etc etc.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kg1

Re: Age discrimination

Post by kg1 »

casasantoestevo wrote:
kyreniagirl wrote:.........How dare they tell me who can stay in my house who can't!!!!.......
"They" already do... have you heard about sex discrimination?

I agree with la vache!
"Not ALL young people are irresponsible idiots."
I agree not ALL but some are & I'm not prepared to take the chance. We are in a quiet residential area & don't want any aggro from cross neighbours. Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!
Moira

Post by Moira »

Unfortnately after an insurance claim of £5k for damage and lost income I don't take bookings under 25 yrs. I know not all young people are likely to leave things in a mess but I've recently had 2 more groups in their mid 20's and the place has been disgusting. Both cases where an older person has booked. Unfortuantely being in a city young people are now booking so that they can party. It didn't help that there was an actual company advertising Party Flats. They've now closed down, thank goodness!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Moira wrote:Unfortnately after an insurance claim of £5k for damage and lost income I don't take bookings under 25 yrs. I know not all young people are likely to leave things in a mess but I've recently had 2 more groups in their mid 20's and the place has been disgusting. Both cases where an older person has booked. Unfortuantely being in a city young people are now booking so that they can party. It didn't help that there was an actual company advertising Party Flats. They've now closed down, thank goodness!
Sorry to hear that Moira. There you have it then, you have evidence of the "data" that doesn't exist officially, as posted by GB in an earlier post. I'm sure because you are in a city, there must be a far greater prevalence of such incidents than perhaps elsewhere. Thanks to the "older" person who booked. :roll: I wonder if they'd like to pick up the pieces after such incidents. :(
Moira

Post by Moira »

While I'm not up for breaking the law. I just wonder whether anyone would bother with all the hassle of taking me to court if I still include the restriction. But then you never know :!:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I think you have to work round the law if needs be then? Avoiding bookings that you get an instinct about or reveal themselves to be a certain age group, by whatever mechanism you can (a sudden family reservation for example), or by reserving the right to impose a very large damage deposit. That could be as high as you wish surely and would put many groups off?

I know for school trips or school proms etc, a deposit is asked of the parents which is refunded if all is well, but kept if required, and as a parent you can't argue for its return as it was part of the T's & C's upon booking. That's not discrimination is it, it's recognising a risk?
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I certainly didn't elect any of them!

Surely though for under 18's this won't apply. we have had several enquiries from groups under 18 and have always refused them on the grounds that there will be no 'legal' adult present. otherwise we could have the aforementioned group of 6 year olds staying!

Over the past five years, our worst damage and cleanliness cases have been:

Rabbi and family (aged baby to 15)
business booking - group of men all aged over 40
Family - 2 adults and 2 young children
Couple in their 20's
Family - 2 adults and 2 teenage children

So no particular pattern age wise - we have also had a group of 20 year old men who left it spotless and in better condition than most families, although we were a bit concerned when we took the booking.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Same sex groups: the most recent one was a couple of weeks ago.

The only information on their enquiry form said:
"If possible, we would like to book the whole of Haus Martin for use by our group - one person per room. What would the charge be for this?"

When they arrived we found they were a group of 4 lovely (male) friends in their 50s, all British. The one who booked was actually a Labour Shadow Minister but we hadn't recognised the name.

Glad I didn't turn that one down then!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just had an enquiry for someone wanting to book for their 22 year old daughter. I've replied with prices, asking for more details of how many people will be staying etc etc. I may quote a larger damage deposit if there are four young people, but wouldn't refuse the booking. The area is popular with cyclists, triathletes etc, who tend to be on the young side.
I was married at 23 so would me and my hubby have been refused accommodation on honeymoon?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

HelenB wrote: I was married at 23 so would me and my hubby have been refused accommodation on honeymoon?
:lol: :lol: + me..... at 20

But the youth of today are getting younger, haven't you noticed......? :wink:
Marks

Post by Marks »

Margaret wrote:The one who booked was actually a Labour Shadow Minister
Reason enough to refuse the booking :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.