French B+B's are they financially viable?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
danny

French B+B's are they financially viable?

Post by danny »

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a B+B in France.Firstly, does anyone know whether they are financially viable.
Secondly,we are considering the Loire valley region, would this be a good choice and if not could anyone suggest any different or more lucrative areas.
I keep reading articles suggesting that we will be lucky to get 10 weeks occupancy, is this true?
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi Danny,

My wife Syb & I run a business here in the Loire valley, France. We have 2 gites, 3 B&B rooms and a small campsite attached to our property. We went for this as a business mainly because of the diversity offered in terms of earnings potential.

We currently have 3 weeks of B&B booked, 18 weeks of gites and the campsite's full from June to September, pretty much. I think if we relied solely on the B&B, then no, there wouldn't be enough income to survive on. If we increased the number of rooms, then possibly, yes. I think what you need to do is to assemble a spreadsheet with number of rooms, cost per room and total figures based on different occupancy rates. I.E 10 weeks, 12 weeks, 15 weeks etc...That's what we did for this place when considering buying it.

It's also bloody hard work too. We have guests in all 3 B&B rooms for the next few nights, we also have the large gite occupied. It was a struggle yeaterday to get everything ready in time for their arrival. It's ultimately worth it though when they make such fantastic comments both in the Visitor's Books, and to you personally. It's then that we realise how very lucky we are!

Be aware that social taxes are high in France, health insurance is steep, you'll possibly be fairly rural which means lots of driving = lots of fuel. The plus side is that it's a very special place to live. Especially on days like this when we've just been having a lazy lunch sat in the garden, listening to the birdsong. Magic!

Ah well, back to work now. Sanding acres of new floors in the conversion upstairs...
danny

Post by danny »

Thanks Stu + Syb
It's really positive to know that it is possible.We are currently in the process of putting our house up for sale, and then hopefully it's France here we come.
We were thinking of 5 B+B letting rooms, with the possibility of 1 gite also.
We will be visiting the Loire in June so we may book a couple of nights with you.

Thanks Danny.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I believe the limit for B+Bs is 5 rooms, any more and you class as a hotel and have all sorts of extra requirements put upon you.

I am not in the B+B busines so I can't really comment on the viability in terms of making a living. I think it depends on lots of factors, including how dedicated you are to the business.

We have 2 British run B+Bs in the village. One run by a couple who have always wanted to run a B+B and are putting their soul into the place, the other run by a couple who just did it to make a bit of money. One B+B is flourishing, the other has practically no business and they are thinking of selling up. No need to guess which is which!

Unless the money you make is just a bit on the side, this advices counts for any business you set up. If you want to be in the tourist business then go for it. If you just want to make a living then find a different way of doing it. You really need to enjoy welcoming people and making them happy to get the most out of this job!

Whatever you do don't try and service a mortgage off the B+B profits.

Ju
danny

Post by danny »

Dear Ju,
Thanks for the info which you posted.We are 2 people who are very enthusiastic about the next phase in our lives, but we are also realistic and don't want to go at it unprepared.That is why we are trying to get as much info as possible and seek the views of the people in the know.

Some B+B's seem to be run very successfully whereas others seem to struggle.Is this down to position, finances ,expectations, or all of the above? Any views,comments or information will be very much appreciated.

Yours

Danny.
enid

Post by enid »

If you just want to make a living then find a different way of doing it. You really need to enjoy welcoming people and making them happy to get the most out of this job!

Whatever you do don't try and service a mortgage off the B+B profits.
I agree with Ju 100%. We do enjoy the guests in our gites especially the children but we don't want too many weeks a year as we want to be able to relax ourselves, do the annual maintenance gently and travel around France a bit too - (not there yet as working on renovating our side of the house but this is the master plan). I think if you have a reasonable expectation of income then any more is a bonus - we are looking for 10 weeks peak season rate in both gites - this can be made up of more low season weeks and bookings in the annexe to gite 2 but this is the financial objective we have. Also we have no borrowings to service. When we reach that we relax!

I think positions would be most important for planning a B and B business - getting some en route trade. I do think you need to set a realistic financial objective (not forgetting running expenses) and set that return against the investment you will be making. If it's better than under the mattress you're ahead of the game! Bon chance et courage!!! :)
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Location location location is one of the major factors in running a B&B. This is where you really do need to do your homework if you plan to only do this and want to make a living as well.It also helps if you can offer specials interests breaks etc out of season The cost of setting up a business is high and you really need an all year round trade. Our location is purely seasonally and on average we have booking for about 90 days of the year but not all these days are fully booked.
As Ju say the most important factor is that you wish to do it, as its not easy and at times is bloody hard work, we also offer evening meals and I run the business on my own as my wife works and some days I do an 18 hour day in high season. But I really do enjoy it might moan about when I have it to do , but I enjoy it. Wish you all the luck in finding the right place
Nessie