B&&&&&y weather!

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Windy

Post by Windy »

Do you not have to get your dog seen by a vet and get the passport stamped before bringing it back into the UK - something about tapeworm if I recall correctly. And the advice I read on visiting France with a dog talked of filling them with chemicals against heart worm and tapeworm in addition the tablets the vet has to give them.

It's still not totally hassle / risk free like it is on a UK or Eire holiday. (Which is one reason we are going to Kerry this year)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The vet doesn't exactly fill them full of treatment, but yes, a treatment against tapeworm and fleas is required 1 - 5 days before departure (before it was 24 - 48 hours which was more restrictive).
Vets are cheaper here than in the UK - and most caring owners will book an appointment at the vet for their customers. It is probably still cheaper than putting the dog in a kennel for a week. But yes, a holiday in the UK or Ireland is more hassle free (as long as you aren't bothered about the rain :P ).
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hey my dog LOVES getting wet. She hates getting hot though so all your good weather would be a total No No for her LV :-)

The thing I read talked of the owner not the vet having to medicate the dog in addition to the compulsory vet visit.

I found it again

http://www.dogtravelblog.co.uk/importan ... -for-2012/
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

la vache! wrote:(as long as you aren't bothered about the rain :P ).
Well, it's been dry and sunny here this afternoon! The fells looking glorious....... oh, hang on - I've already said that earlier in this thread. Worth repeating though.
And our dog isn't remotely bothered by rain. Stupid animal.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy wrote:She hates getting hot though so all your good weather would be a total No No for her LV :-)
Good weather, in Brittany??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely not "good", just not as "bad" as the UK.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

la vache! wrote:
Windy wrote:She hates getting hot though so all your good weather would be a total No No for her LV :-)
Good weather, in Brittany??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely not "good", just not as "bad" as the UK.
Come off it LV - we don't have "bad" weather in the UK!!! I mean - how can anything be bad if it provides a common conversation topic for 60 million people and has nothing to do with royalty, politics, soap operas, Big Brother or bloody football?

Shortly after we moved here (the most beautiful part of England, and the friendliest people) I was outside chatting to the guy who'd come to sort out the satellite dish. 'Twas a dry but bitterly cold December day (getting all Dickensian now), and as Mr Satellite's fingers went an interesting colour, he turned to me and came out with the memorable: "The full heat of the sun is not yet upon us."
Priceless.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Greenbarn wrote: Come off it LV - we don't have "bad" weather in the UK!!! I mean - how can anything be bad if it provides a common conversation topic for 60 million people and has nothing to do with royalty, politics, soap operas, Big Brother or bloody football?
GB, with the exception of soap operas, Big Brother and royalty, we have excactly the same common conversation topics in this part of France. The weather being the primary one.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV, no longer any need for the tick treatment, only the tapeworm treatment now has to be done at the vets. (I would hope dog owners would make sure flea treatments are up to date in any case). As for heartworm, your dog can pick that up in south of England now.
It is also much easier and quicker to get the passport in the first place. Now (and in this order) your dog needs a Microchip and a Rabies Vaccine. No longer any blood tests or 6 month wait. You can return to the UK three weeks after the vaccination.
Our dog goes to France with us 5 times a year.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for posting that Helen. I knew it was easier than before, just not how much. I know I've had an increase in enquiries from dog owners in the UK wanting to bring their pets and I thought that might have something to do with it.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well can I just give a shout for SPAIN :!: weatherwise........YAY Image

Its been absolutely glorious this year, best ever I think...so every cloud and all that......... :wink:

just a shame that Ive been 'confined to barracks' and stuck in the UK.......it hailed in Norfolk yesterday
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There has been a real north/south European divide on the weather this year. I'm glad Spain has had some good weather. So has the South of France, but you have to go quite a long way South to get it!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Concarneau? It was fabulous there yesterday. :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I've had four cancellations this year, and while none of them have directly blamed the weather I think it must be at least partly to blame. It's bloomin' freezing too.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

I think that it is remarkable how much bookings have held up in our area, (Herefordshire / Shropshire and joining counties) despite the appalling weather.

There's no doubt that old fashioned, tired, corn dolly chintz cottages will suffer. Bad weather in a good quality cottage is a nuisance but you still have a relaxing time. In a substandard, dated cottage, it is a disaster.

Quality is vital but in the less predictable UK climate it is a number one AAA issue. Staying in and being forced to tolerate poor quality interiors turns what should be a relaxing time into added irritation.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting