Bird droppings

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
annedab

Bird droppings

Post by annedab »

Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning up bird droppings. We have a problem whenever the house has been empty for some time - birds are perching on the gable end of the property and their droppings fall onto the stone balcony which has french doors from 2 bedrooms. It is a nightmare to clean - even the pressure washer doesn't shift it. We have put up some (plastic!) spikes to try and deter the the birds, but this has just moved them slightly so that the droppings now fall on the balcony AND the patio downstairs :evil: We never see these birds and they are not a nuisance in any way other than their extensive deposits.They tend to stay away when the house is occupied so I hope it won't be too bad during the summer - it's our first year of letting and we are fully booked for the peak weeks :D - but in the meantime I would like to find a magic product to make cleaning it up less of a chore All suggestions gratefully received.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I just Karcher them and they disappear.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Try vinegar.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi there,

Usually fresh bird poo will disappear with normal hose pressure fitted with a gun type attachment. Otherwise, a pressure washer should do the job if it is powerful enough. Check at your local hardware store for advice, here they are generally very helpful.

One of my neighbours in the campo is plagued with sparrows and subsequent problems of noise and poo. They start a racket at dawn, which can be a couple of hours before getting up time in Summer - a real nuisance if you are a light sleeper. These sparrows are not bothered whether anyone is in residence or not unfortunately.

So if anyone can recommend any good bird deterrents, I would really appreciate it. Anyone tried anything like this, seems very expensive to me.
http://www.bird-x.com/products/itape.htm.
I don´t have a big problem with them as of yet but they are are surely increasing in numbers year on year so I am thinking of prevention :)

cheers,
Maria
A-two

Post by A-two »

Maria wrote:So if anyone can recommend any good bird deterrents, I would really appreciate it.
Shoot them.... :shock: (just kidding :) )

Anyone tried anything like this, seems very expensive to me.
http://www.bird-x.com/products/itape.htm.
Looks like a fancy version of punching a hole in foil trays/takeaway dishes/ foil pie dishes/ whatever you call them, and hanging them from a tree branch or post to flutter in the wind. That's what the farmers do around here, it's a fairly common sight, except for grape vines, which have to be completely netted.
I don´t have a big problem with them as of yet but they are are surely increasing in numbers year on year so I am thinking of prevention :)
Shoot the neighbours who feed them as well....

Cheers,
Joanna
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

People use old CDs as well - the silver on both sides sort - to hang on trees, bushes, etc. That has to be cheaper!
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

Thanks for the alternative "cheaper" ideas, computer disks might be a novel idea if it works. Apparently Sparrows can have up to 5 broods a year and they never venture too far from place of birth, no wonder that numbers are increasing!!
Joanna, I doubt if anyone feeds sparrows here!

Cheers,
Maria
A-two

Post by A-two »

Maria,
I come from a family which suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder for feeding wildlife with leftovers. Nobody in living memory has checked bird ID before they scatter the goodies. If you have a sparrow problem, a member of my family probably lives nearby and thinks they are helping to sustain a rare and unseen species.... :lol:

CDs...cool idea.