Increased electricity costs...

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Maurmc

Increased electricity costs...

Post by Maurmc »

If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Good grief...and VAT up to 21% on some things.
We must have the most expensive electric bills in Europe by now - if not the most, certainly in the top three.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It's a nightmare. Our June/July bill was staggering because of course the heat we've been experiencing since May hasn't helped. The guests who normally wouldn't have used a/c have had it going full pelt.

I wish I could come up with a sure-fire way of getting people to be more economical with the a/c...by far our biggest cost.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Mouse wrote:I wish I could come up with a sure-fire way of getting people to be more economical with the a/c...by far our biggest cost.

Mouse
x
Charge separately for it. Friend of mine used to be all inclusive but had huge bills. Dropped his rental price a little and charged per kwh used. Bills are 50% less than last summer.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Or you could include a reasonable amount of kWh in the rent and charge for anything over that. Makes you look more generous, I think.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

the elec costs for my 3 bed villa are by far my biggest controllable cost - c 2000e per year. Cost per kwhr has just gone up to 21 cents per kwhr so I put a cap on weekly usage at 200 kwhrs, 20% higher than average in 2011.

I refer to it as my 'fair usage policy' & so far no-one has breached it so haven't had to take any extra out of deposits. The instigating family offered to pay so I don't include that.

Next year I am recharging all utility bills & keeping rental prices the same.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Marks wrote: Charge separately for it. Friend of mine used to be all inclusive but had huge bills. Dropped his rental price a little and charged per kwh used. Bills are 50% less than last summer.
But is that not like going to a northern clime and having to pay for heating during winter?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.