Discount for under occupancy

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
claire

Discount for under occupancy

Post by claire »

hi

if you are letting a property for say 4 people and two people want to stay, do you give them a discount for under occupancy and if so, do you advertise the fact?
enid

Post by enid »

Our gites sleep 4/6 and we offer a discount of €50 for couples only in low and mid season. We do advertise this.
Ju

Post by Ju »

For two people using a house for four certainly not. If they want to stay somewhere bigger then they should pay for it.

However, we have one property which sleeps 11. This is not a problem to book in high and peak season, but in low and mid season we find that people tend not to holiday in large groups. So we offer a discount for anyone wanting to rent the house for 6 people or less. We shut off two of the bedrooms and significantly reduce the price.

Ju
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We sleep seven and, offseason, give £5/night for 3/4 guests, £8/night for two. Yes, we do state this on the website. It helps fill the place in off-season, which is longer in UK as we don't get the weather.

John
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We dont give discounts unless we are getting close to the week and its unrented (normally low season). I think if you advertise it you automatically give it away, rather, I would consider it if I was asked and it was only a couple (again only in low season).

If you have trouble moving the week why not offer the discount to everybody - I accept there may be an argument for wear and tear but I don't think this is material in the scheme of things to warrant permanent discounting.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
claire

Post by claire »

thanks for all the info it was very interesting. i shall probably go with a small discount in low and mid season and see how i go.

thanks again
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi.I have 3 bedrooms (sleeps 6) but I don't give a discount.Some couples have asked, I have said "no",they have still booked!I might agree in the middle of winter but then probably not as my price includes electricity,oil and gas and 2 would need the house heating almost as much as 6.Guess my answer is no then :lol:
Marion

Post by Marion »

I have a 1 bedroom apartment in Nice that sleeps 4 with two using sofa beds in the living area. Most of my guests seemed to be couples so I felt it was unfair that they paid the same as 4. So I have reversed it and now ask for a supplement if there are more than 2 staying to cover the additional wear and tear, linen and towels etc.
This seems to work fine and I have not had anyone query the additional costs.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

A one bedroom appt really only sleeps 2 in the bedroom so you are absolutely right in your pricing policy :lol: