Swimming pools and health and safety

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

kayley wrote:Thanks Alan, I'm on to it.
In the absence of "him indoors" I wish you the best of luck. I'm quite sure you will succeed.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Kayley,
Good luck, I've no doubt you will get it sorted. I used to get similar green pools despite doing everything by the book. I haven't had a green pool for a year now as I use a mineral sanitizer system called PoolRX which you just put in the baskets and let it do it's stuff. It's a great weight of my mind - like you say there is nothing more embarassing than a green pool to show to guests!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Susan, I've been meaning to ask for ages but what does "kenavo ar c'hentañ " mean?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I've now got some of the 3 in 1 tablets, which I'm hoping are the ones recommended by Alan, and am going to ask what is probably a very daft question. Do I use them as well as or instead of the normal chlorine tablets? What about the PoolRX, as well as or instead of? Any idea what they might be called in Spanish? Is there anything else that should be going in on a regular basis?
I've decided to take on the pool maintainance myself as my husband has so little time at home and I just don't want this problem again. I've just treated myself to a new test kit (cheaper than a pair of shoes), as mine with liquid, gave a different result to my neighbours, using tablets. The lady in the pool shop said tablets are more accurate, so tablets it is!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Fraise,
Its isn't very exciting, it is Breton for 'à la prochaine', that's all!
Kayley, you use PoolRX with the normal chlorine, only difference is you need less chlorine (one pallet instead of two per week).
I got mine from my swimming pool supplier, but Clexane got his from a US supplier he found on the internet at a cheaper price.
If you do a google search on 'PoolRX' you will find it.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Kayley,
Do I use them as well as or instead of the normal chlorine tablets? What about the PoolRX, as well as or instead of?
No, no, you use them instead of long lasting chlorine tablets. They mainly contain chlorine, together with a little anti-algae and floculant. I don’t know about PoolRX but I think you use that in addition and I think it cuts down on your day-to-day maintenance.

Once you have taken over the pool maintenance and once you have established, on a trial and error basis, a routine for you and your pool you will find it perfectly simple to run a perfect pool.

Yes, tablets are slightly more accurate than the liquids but not to any significant degree. All pools are different so your neighbour’s readings have no relevance to the readings for your pool.

Some may regard this as an aggressive statement by my opinion is – people who run pools find it simple and straightforward, those who don’t run pools want to portray it as being complicated and difficult. In a few weeks time you will be saying to yourself “this is not rocket science, its common sense�. In other words, anything is easy if you know what you are doing and it’s facile to theorise on the difficulties when you don’t.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks for all the help and advice Alan. Please be assured,I'm not quite as daft as I sometimes sound. My neighbours reading was done in my pool, not his :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

kayley wrote:Thanks for all the help and advice Alan. Please be assured, I'm not quite as daft as I sometimes sound. My neighbours reading was done in my pool, not his :lol:
Daft? Not at all! Concerned? Absolutely!

Have no doubts! You will succeed! I know you will because I did. After all, it’s only an overgrown bucket of water you’re stopping from becoming stagnant. In a little while you will be saying "what was all the fuss about?�

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

In a little while you will be saying "what was all the fuss about?�
We were pool novices 4 years ago. Just before one of our daughterswas coming for the first time the pool went green - Kevin went to the local Gamme Vert and they told him what to do - a good test for his French at the time. We had so much different advice and in the end it was Alan's input on this forum that we liked clear straight forward and not fussy!

Now we don't do too much worrying or too much work. This year opened it - set it going - turned on the robot( yes we're in the 'we love our polaris' camp) - and crystal clear in 24 hours. We have clients from Rothshire in at the moment and they have even been swimming at a toe curling 15°
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,

Thanks for that. If I only ever helped one person on this Forum I'm happy, very happy.

You’re tough if you come from Rothshire.

Gamme Vert rules OK, les Piscines Vert does not.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

You can count in another one there Alan. It's still not pristine, and there's too much chlorine to swim, but it's now more blue than green, so I'm hopeful that by the time the guests arrive tomorrow it will be looking so much better. Many thanks.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Our home pool has just been filled and a whole tub of liquid chlorine thrown in and is now looking much happier. The pool doctor arrives in a couple of weeks to start up the filter and heater.

Strangely, although I cannot water my garden with a hose or clean my car, I can run a hose for the better end of 24 hours to refill the pool! I'm not complaining, but it is very strange with a Labour government - you would have thought that fat cats' pools would have been the first target of a hosepipe ban!

John
aillis

Post by aillis »

On my pool both lids of the filters have cracked ( they are made of polycarbonate )and leak + naff seals so after a days pumpimg have 5 cm of water in pump house so switch off with long pole. Replacement lids should arrive in a week ............
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I can go one better, my pool filter pump packed up last week after having run for 2 weeks and heated the pool to 25°c. Hopefully it will be fixed/replaced on Thursday, but the temp will have dropped considerably.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

The pool is now looking good, blue and clear.Luckily our guests are not the hardy "swim in all weather" types and hadn't hoped to use the pool.
Unfortunately, although it looks good, I'm not understanding the test results on my little chemical kits.
I'm using both the tablets and liquid in a vain attempt to understand, but it doesn't help that they both say the results can be inaccurate if the levels are very high or very low.
I seem to have a chlorine level that is off the scale. I'm not surprised by this, as before reading about the "inaccurate results", it seemed to show low chlorine and I gave a second dose of shock chlorine! What is giving me the most concern is the PH level. It seems to show that it's still very low. Although I've given two doses of PH+, it seems to still be below 6.8. Can this be correct? If it is correct, how can the water be blue? :?