Don't get hustled into a new TV system yet..

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Sorry but no new news on the satellite swap at the moment - some sources are suggesting it might happen on or around 6th December but I have no real info on that so we have to just wait and see. As said above - at least good news for some at the moment who continue to get UK TV - at least for a few days more.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
joddle

Post by joddle »

At last some news from a seemingly official source.

Heavy edit - please re -read

Since I started this post I have received even more new information - and the situation is not as simple as first appeared.

It seems not all transponders (ie groups of UK channels) are going on to the new satellite on Tuesday as first indicated but only some!! It also appears that some will later go to the next new satellite when it too arrives next year - so alas even further uncertanty for some.

Nevertheless on Wednesday morning you should know if you can continue to receive UK TV and which channels (for now and a short while at least). It will be usefull if people can report back after Wednesday to say what they are getting or not getting so we have a clearer picture of what the effects on Spain have been.
joddle

Post by joddle »

OK folks it has happened - so by now you should know what you can and cannot get.

In Valencia BBC and ITV channels are about the same as before. Ch4 and 5 and 5* are now slightly weaker and Ch4HD and 4severn are noticably weaker.

SOme peopel have lost theri regional versionsof BBC and ITV and have found they can get alternatives - ie other regions but not really good reports in yet.

Please let us know what you are getting.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Here in Almeria the problem channels for me are ALL chan 5 (no loss there) and 4HD and 4 seven.

I haven't tried any dish/lnb tweaking and won't at this time.

4HD is about the same as it was on 2D ie can receive at some times of the day whereas on 1N it was 100% 24/7.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Vera wrote:Here in Almeria the problem channels for me are ALL chan 5 (no loss there) and 4HD and 4 seven.

I haven't tried any dish/lnb tweaking and won't at this time.

4HD is about the same as it was on 2D ie can receive at some times of the day whereas on 1N it was 100% 24/7.
Thanks for that Vera - no doubt you are very upset aout Ch5! Could you let us know your dish size so others can get an idea of how they may be affected or what size dish will be needed.

Also any new posters please include your dish size. Thanks
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Joddle, thanks so much for all this information.

I'm the same as Vera re loss of channels. I'm further down the coast near Malaga. I only have freeview and have lost all channel 5 channels. Sorry I can't tell you the size of the dish because I'm piggy-backed off my neighbour's dish ..... after mine flew off in the storms a couple of years ago :shock: and he is a bit vague about the size of his :roll:
Vera

Post by Vera »

It's a 1.3 metre channel master, with a 0.1 db octo lnb. The humax performed slightly better than a sd sky + box, the humax has longer cables to it as well.
brenda

Post by brenda »

We are east of Malaga and have lost all the Channel 5 channels too; everything else OK at the moment. We have Sky via a 1.3 m dish.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Too early to advise what to do for you people south of Alicante and Murcia but it is now obvious that the signal drop off is quite steep as you go south. In fact by the time you get towards the southern costas a 1.9m dish is needed and further round the south coast it is not possible to get anything even with huge 2M dishes.

This means that it is even more critial that your dish is properly optimised to get a good signal. If you have not done so recently it would be a good idea to ensure you are getting the best from your existing kit before considering getting something new. Even a tiny missalignment can make a huge differance in these situations. Also use the most sensative receiver you have - the Humax boxes perform remarkably well in these situations.

After a day or so I hope I will be able to offer more indication of the dish sizes needed in various parts of the country.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Following Channels should be transferred by Tuesday 4th. Dec.

Channel 5, 5 USA, 5* and Channel 5+1, ITV1 Granada HD,
Channel4 HD and 4 Seven SD

and the following Regions of ITV1 SD:

Central SW, Anglia West, Meridian North,
Yorkshire East, Central South and Central East.

and the following Regions of ITV 1+1 SD:

West Country, Yorkshire, TyneTees, Wales

Once this changeover takes place we will know if
their signal has reduced and we will need to fit larger Dishes.
The Rest of the Changeover may happen later on next year when
Astra 2e is launched.
Please note it will be possible to add and view the regions of
ITV1 etc that are NOT Changing over as 'Other Channels'.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Marks

Post by Marks »

20km inland from Alicante, 2.4m dish, no loss of channels or picture quality, if anything the HD channels are even better quality than before.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

do you mean 1.4 mark?
Marks

Post by Marks »

No, 2.4m
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sounds like Jodrell Bank - are you eavesdropping on distant galaxies or something, Marks?

:shock:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
joddle

Post by joddle »

OK seems we all have the idea now - keep those reports coming in.

For those of you in the south and north of Spain, much of the Costa Blanca needed 2.4M or even bigger dishes in the good old days before 1N but for the past year or more much smaller dishes have been OK.

Now we have a new situation whereby we know what these latest sats do and we can see that the drop off is very severe to the south and in-land and even those 2.4 dishes are not enough in the west and in Portugal.

This may even get worse when the next sat goes up as then all the channels still on 1N may then go over to either 2F or 2E and so the channel 5 experience may indicate how its going to be for other channels as well.

The only message I can give at the moment is don't rush into an expensive solution without carefully considering what may happen in the future. If you can still get CH5 OK then it looks like you will be OK for the next 12 years or so - if not then things may get worse for you next year with the loss of more channels.

If you have lost all UK TV then you need to think of what to do and that will depend on where you are. We are still waiting to see what size dishes are needed for reliable reception in the Almeria to Cadiz areas and that could take a little time to establish but we know already some people can't get anything with 2M in the west and struggle with 1.9M in the east part of the Costa del Sol. More news as and when I get it

Those in the far west of Spain and Portugal seem to have been wiped out and this may well be the case -some are saying that even 4M dishes won't be enough but we have no solid evidence at this time - again watch this space.

A few tips
1 ) don't get sold a system withought seeing it working first.
2) don't accept that rebroadcasters will always be able to get signals that you can't get - they may say anything to get business!
3) don't spend money unless you can be certain of what you are getting not only for now but for the reasonable future.