Wordpress twenty eleven

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
elena

Wordpress twenty eleven

Post by elena »

Our blog is with Wordpress twenty eleven - at the moment the headings on the navigation menu link to a new post with manual links to the relevant websites eg my own website, pinterest etc

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to link the headings directly to the websites? I've tried a few things(& messed up a few things in the process) :roll:

Thanks!
Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
gam

Post by gam »

Yes, very simple to do:
  • In your admin panel choose Appearance/Menus
    Look for the box called "Custom Links"
    Type the url (address) of the site you want (e.g. http://pinterest.com/crouquets/
    Type the Menu title (e.g. Pinterest)
    Click Add to Menu
    Now position the item where you want it in the menu list
    Click Save Menu
    Done
By the way, I notice that you've left your Permalink settings as default which gives your pages rather ugly urls e.g. http://dordogne-gites.info/?page_id=14. I'd recommend changing that to "Post name" which will give them a more meaningful (and SEO friendly) url. To do this go to Settings/Permalinks and click Post name then Save changes.

HTH
elena

Post by elena »

Thanks for replying Gam!

I thought that's what I'd done ( more or less ) :oops: but ended up just getting an error message on several posts, even the ones I hadn't changed so put everything back to default.

Obviously did something daft so I'll try again following your post to the letter!
Thanks again!

Elena
follow us on pinterest
elena

Post by elena »

Thanks again Gam!

Was just about to write to say I still couldn't get it right but went back to do a few more tweaks & it seems to be behaving now :D

Don't know if something was glitching or if I was being sidetracked by it only supporting one menu but anyway it's doing what I wanted now so thanks again for your time!

Elena
follow us on pinterest