3rd on google for "normandy gite" without doing...

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Normandy Cow

3rd on google for "normandy gite" without doing...

Post by Normandy Cow »

...ANY SEO work!

I've been toiling away designing our new super-duper weebly website, and left the old wordpress.com site just lying there doing nothing. (I've not even updated the prices since 2010!).

Thought I'd have a look at it and was gobsmacked to realise that it is third in the results for such a generic search term.

This just makes me wonder whether all the time people spend on SEO is really worth it. (I havent done ANY - I haven't updated the blog, I've hardly built any reciprocal links to other websites, I don't even have a facebook page to link to or be "liked" :shock: )

I have not touched wordpress.com for years and I really don't want to have to re-learn it all - but on the other hand I do want to try to take advantage of such a good ranking in the search results!

Can anyone advise me the best away to link the old site "www.normandygite.wordpress.com" to the new one "normandygite.weebly.com"

Thanks!
pete

Post by pete »

NC are you signed into google ?

Your site is not on the first page when I search
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Last one on Page 3 for me :?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Marks

Post by Marks »

Same here.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

pete wrote:NC are you signed into google ?
? Not knowingly! :? How would I have done that? :?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Same for me P3 #10

If you are signed into Google have you got your Search History turned on? That will skew results too.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ditto the others.

Even so, page 3 with no work? Imagine how good it could be if you kept it up to date..... :wink:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

There's definitely something wrong here. Now it is number one on google - above OD and HL!!!! (and I am a realist and know that there is no way that could actually happen given their budgets!).

I'm wondering whether google bumps sites you have visited often, further up the list?
Nemo wrote:Even so, page 3 with no work? Imagine how good it could be if you kept it up to date..... :wink:
But you're right, page 3's pretty good! But I don't want to do any more work on the old Wordpress site. I would like to link the old one to the new one, and try to get that new one higher up google. :) Is this possible?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

#1 Page 4 for me. Thomas BC is number 2 on Google for me. If you are signed into Google you will get skewed results, as Pete says.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Yes Thomas has always been high up on google, that was why I was so surprised that he was nowhere to be seen on my search. :shock:

But could someone please tell me how you "sign into Google"? I was not aware that I was "signed in" to it. :?

I simply access google from the little "search using google" box on the top-left of the Firefox screen. Could this have anything to do with it?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you go to the google homepage, you will either have a little box in the top right saying 'sign in' (in which case you aren't signed into Google) or your name (in which case you are signed into Google).
When checking SEO you should always be signed out otherwise the results are skewed to what you usually search on or sites you usually click on.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I sign into Google just because I have a Gmail account and log in there.
pete

Post by pete »

I sign into google.fr for gmail and search .co.uk or .com to check that my website is okay.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I find the best way to check where I sit on Google is to open a new incognito window - that means you're effectively anonymous and none of your history is taken into account, but you don't have to sign out; plus whatever you do as 'incognito' doesn't turn up in your history and isn't cached. It also means you don't have to faff about signing out and then in again. You open a new incognito window via the 'settings' page in Chrome - not sure whether or how you can do it in other browsers though.

If I search for normandy gite as incognito, which is probably about as 'pure' a search as you can get, you're at the top of page 4 NC. If I just search as me - ie signed in to Google - you're half way down page 1, because I've visited your site before and quite recently.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Location matters a lot when doing searches. When a company says we can get you to number one in Google that will never mean world wide.
If you use Firefox or Chrome try this add on
http://www.redflymarketing.com/internet ... le-global/
Hit the search button using different countries.
In this case when I use my normal location (Spain) The website come at the top of page 3. When I use the UK location it comes at the bottom of page3. And I am not talking about The Sun!
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.