Tax Question

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
bananacake

Tax Question

Post by bananacake »

Hello
I was hoping if someone could kindly advise what is the tax rate for income generated from holday rentals in London?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

It depends what your UK income is as it's deemed to be part of your income so standard income tax rates if 20 or 40 percent after your personal allowance.
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

As I don't reside in UK would the income I generate from my rental be a standard 20%? I'm just toying with the idea of possibly purchasing a flat in London with the idea to rent out as a vacation rental
DaydreamBeliever2014

Post by DaydreamBeliever2014 »

Hi,

Unfortunately, income arising from UK property is always taxable in the UK, regardless of your residence/domicile under the Income Tax Act of 2007.

Assuming your rentals are above £100 per week then the Non Resident Landlords Scheme applies [http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nrl_guide_notes.pdf].

Your letting agent (or the tenant directly if you don't have one) must deduct basic rate tax (20%) at source, that is from your lettings rate. They must pass this directly to HM Revenue and Customs.

Clearly, I doubt you'd want your holidaying clients dealing with this legislative requirement, in which case you will need to apply to HMRC to receive your rents Gross and will therefore be required to complete a Self-Assessment tax return each year.

Hope that helps!