How Long Do You Wait Before Re-Listing After Missed Balance?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

NonnaGiulietta wrote:
Nemo wrote:Is it just to understand why we operate the way we do, or are you trying to change us?
Obviously the first. Why the devil would I ever try to change you, what advantage would I get?
Ah, you'd be surprised (or not!) as to how heated some discussions can be when certain parties are convinced that only their way is the right way.
NonnaGiulietta wrote:At least on this, I hope, we can agree.
I have no problem agreeing or disagreeing; each of us has a right to operate as we see fit but also within our respective countries jurisdiction. I simply think that I and others have struggled a little with the nuances of how you phrase things. If you keep posting, I suspect we will all get to understand each other a little better, as time goes by. :)

I hope the balance arrives promptly Mozzie; I'm sure you have better things to do than worry about it reaching you. :wink:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Only one time did I agree to someone paying on arrival. When they arrived, they claimed they had a problem with making a bank transfer. I had to pay for someone to visit them twice, while they were staying in my house, in order to get cash from them. Never again!

I used to be very tolerant of late payers but not any more. Some people take advantage and simply don't pay until THEY want to. Now I give 2 reminders and if still no payment I will inform them that the dates have been released again and they risk losing their reservation and deposit. This normally produces a payment the same day! I try of course to contact them by email or phone before doing this.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

There's no right or wrong way - all depends on our personal situation, style of operating, location and no doubt a hundred other factors. We take 30% on booking with the balance payable on arrival, though some guests choose to pay the whole cost in one transfer when they book (yes, really! Their idea - I don't suggest it). Never had a problem, so far.

What's interesting for me is to hear about how other people do things and why, so that I can constantly evaluate whether I'm operating the way I want to be or whether someone might be offering me a compelling argument for change. It would be a shame if we started to keep our cards close to our chest in case someone might disagree with our approach.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

French Cricket wrote: Some guests choose to pay the whole cost in one transfer when they book (yes, really! Their idea - I don't suggest it).
Unless I'm booking months and months ahead, that's my preference too! With interest rates so low, the loss in interest is negligible, the holiday is paid for and I know I'm only budgeting for my spending money etc. It then feels like a cheap holiday and I enjoy it more that way. :oops: :lol:
French Cricket wrote:It would be a shame if we started to keep our cards close to our chest in case someone might disagree with our approach.
Indeed, with the moving on of certain recalcitrant members from the past, the forum has been a very pleasant place to be for quite some time now. I'd hate that to change.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Nemo wrote:
Unless I'm booking months and months ahead, that's my preference too! With interest rates so low, the loss in interest is negligible, the holiday is paid for and I know I'm only budgeting for my spending money etc. It then feels like a cheap holiday and I enjoy it more that way. :oops: :lol:
Well now, you see, that's really interesting for me to hear, Nemo! Maybe I should start suggesting it in my 'deposit request' email as an option. What do you think - do you think it could sound like a bit of pressure to pay up in advance?
NonnaGiulietta

Post by NonnaGiulietta »

Nemo would be better wrote:Ah, you'd be surprised (or not!) as to how heated some discussions can be when certain parties are convinced that other parties are convinced that only their way is the right way
Excuse me, I took the liberty to integrate your sentence according to the feeling I have experienced myself.

8)
French Cricket wrote:What's interesting for me is to hear about how other people do things and why, so that I can constantly evaluate whether I'm operating the way I want to be or whether someone might be offering me a compelling argument for change. It would be a shame if we started to keep our cards close to our chest in case someone might disagree with our approach.
I concur.

I would just add only that a forum is not the bridge club, where you like to meet always the same companions and the novelty is not welcome. On the contrary, a forum should be, also and above all, the means by which those who looks for the first time to this market draws ideas and inspiration (maybe not being registered at all). From this perspective, a forum is basically a knowledgebase.

IMHO, of course :)
Nonna Giulietta Apartment
NG on Facebook

God gave us the gift of speech, but has taken from us that of silence (Sergio Bolgeri, painter)
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Have just woken early! to check my email and nothing from late payer. Oh well, I am thinking, he probably deposited it and just didn't email. So check into my account and NOTHING! So I calmly wrote a response outlining that I have released the dates in an effort to rent it to someone else and if he wishes to continue with the booking he must deposit his money. I am taking the view that this is business, things like this are bound to happen and I will learn and adapt from my experience. I was thinking (before this) that 2 months prior was a long time to take the balance, but after seeing how people stall and how quickly the days pass as you are patiently waiting, I have changed my mind. If guests did what they said they would do (as they expect me to do) then I could operate differently. Again, thanks to all of you for your continued support and hand holding and I will keep you posted.
I did get to see a gorgeous Colorado sunrise today I would have missed if I could sleep - life is good!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

French Cricket wrote:Well now, you see, that's really interesting for me to hear, Nemo! Maybe I should start suggesting it in my 'deposit request' email as an option. What do you think - do you think it could sound like a bit of pressure to pay up in advance?
Hmm, not sure. It would be nice to encourage, but could be seen as a bit presumptuous? I guess some people are like me, but others are watching the pennies a little more and will not want to pay until the last. I am just in the midst of dealing with an American guest who wants to pay in full for a May booking, in order to secure the exchange rate. In that instance you can see why it makes sense. Something to think on certainly.
NonnaGiulietta wrote:I would just add only that a forum is not the bridge club, where you like to meet always the same companions and the novelty is not welcome. On the contrary, a forum should be, also and above all, the means by which those who looks for the first time to this market draws ideas and inspiration (maybe not being registered at all). From this perspective, a forum is basically a knowledgebase.
To some it is just that, a knowledgebase to draw upon. However for the regulars here it is a far richer experience. A place to discuss their business, share ideas, swap workplace stories, draw comfort in difficult times, enjoy company and indeed make friends. Newcomers are always welcome and replenish the forum as other members move on to pastures new.
Mozzie wrote:I was thinking (before this) that 2 months prior was a long time to take the balance, but after seeing how people stall and how quickly the days pass as you are patiently waiting, I have changed my mind. If guests did what they said they would do (as they expect me to do) then I could operate differently.
Good for you Mozzie. Sometimes it's important to remind yourself that it is your business and you need to set the terms. There's nothing worse than feeling like a helpless victim. Your email however may be just the shock they need to pull their socks up and pay!
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

What I enjoy about this forum, aside from the business information I glean, is the companionship of people all around the world with a common interest. I work in total isolation (my family aren't that interested in what I do!) so it is fun to connect with you guys (kind of like the "water cooler" chats if I was in an office). So what do you guys do for our Christmas party??
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Snap Mozzie - I too, work in total isolation, apart from when I bore my OH with booking updates, or have a chat with my on site cleaner. :)

I don't know, we haven't had a Christmas do I don't think? You can do most things in cyberspace so why not a cyber Christmas party? Over to you methinks........ :lol:
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Will give it some thought!! Just looked at your place - beautiful beach - is it good for swimming? (in the ocean I mean)
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Nemo wrote:Snap Mozzie - I too, work in total isolation, apart from when I bore my OH with booking updates, or have a chat with my on site cleaner. :)
Me too!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Mozzie wrote:Will give it some thought!! Just looked at your place - beautiful beach - is it good for swimming? (in the ocean I mean)
If you can brave the temperatures and the tidal drag of the North Sea.....yes! I used to swim for many years, my mum and her mum were brave, hardy souls getting us all in on family hols. Now I prefer to walk, sunbathe or paddle! My youngest has surfed on occasion though and there are still plenty of other people who brave it!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

ATM I take payment 4 weeks ahead.... I did agree to a few cash on arrivals this year (25% deposit taken) .... for a few 3 or 4 day bookings... interestingly... out of about 8 or 9 cash on arrival bookings, 2 of them cancelled very late in the day.

One cancelled because of a twisted ankle the night before... now I know that probably it would have been difficult to visit London with a twisted ankle... BUT... if she's paid up front and been losing £400 instead of just her £100 deposit then maybe she'd have decided to come after all! Cash on arrival just makes it to easy to cancel on a whim.

I don't do it now unless it's a real dealbreaker and I need the booking (ie, late booking a few days ahead of arrival and I might as well....)

(And she still asked for the deposit back....?) didn't get it though.

I'm thinking of going back to balance 6 weeks ahead again...

In this business, we just can't afford to have guests that aren't committed to taking their holiday. commitment = payment up front!

The usual excuse that's trotted out by people not wanting to pay up front is

What happens if I'm ill and can't come...

Ahem... travel insurance....
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Paying the balance 8 weeks in advance when booking direct with owners in France is perfectly normal and accepted by all nationalities.

The only query we once had in 2011 related to the damage deposit which one French family wanted to pay on arrival and have reimbursed on departure. This is in fact what happens with some letting agencies.

We accepted but as a precaution, cashed the deposit cheque to ensure it didn’t bounce and then repaid the deposit after a quick look round before the family departed.

They left the place absolutely spotless and a delightful thank you note in the visitor’s book.

When they came back this year, we didn’t even bother taking a deposit and again they left the place immaculate.

I would also add that one always has to pay the balance in advance when booking a holiday through a travel agent, including in Italy.

http://www.locasun.fr/?a=16058
http://www.locasun.fr/?a=81832
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rental ... ande/80285
http://ezinearticles.com/?Naturist-Holi ... id=7306175
http://www.naturistholidays.fr