Something to celebrate with a bottle?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Something to celebrate with a bottle?

Post by greenbarn »

Under current laws in the UK, if you give your guests a bottle of wine either to mark an occasion or just in the welcome pack, you can be banged up in chokey with all the other criminal elements of society. Unless, of course, you've gone to all the trouble and expense of obtaining an alcohol licence for the premises, and you haven't, have you? Thought not. In which case you can expect the blues and twos on the horizon imminently. Or as soon as your new Police Commissioner decides to tackle serious crime. So maybe not imminently, then.

Anyway, there's potentially good news in a Government consultation on licensing laws and deregulation. Or not. But at least they've recognised that it's a nonsense.

Here's a couple of possible scenarios:
1) The Home Office say: Go ahead, give your guests small quantities of alcohol as long as you're not charging for it. Regulating against that is stupid!

or

2) Somebody comes up with the bright idea of a licence for people who want to give small quantities of alcohol to guests, obtainable for a small fee and loads of paperwork.

Any bets? Assuming you've got a Gaming Licence, of course.......
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

This is from the EASCO newsletter:
The Home Office has been considering for some time whether the law could be relaxed in cases where the sale of drink is ancillary to the main business and on a small scale, as is the case in the self-catering situation. The issue also affects other types of business such as hairdressers wanting to give a glass whilst waiting for a permanent wave, cultural events in museums, and bed-and-breakfast establishments that offer an evening meal with the potential for a glass of Rosé.
The discussion seems to be about the sale of drink, whereas the case scenario for most of us surely is giving it away for free?

Its inclusion in a welcome pack, or as a gift to someone celebrating an anniversary or birthday is free. When I go to my hairdresser I'm offered a free glass of wine (and I have no doubt he is currently breaking the law).

Well it would be nice to think that there would be a simple solution, but you're right GB, the government are involved so therefore we must expect more red tape and fees........
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nemo wrote:
The discussion seems to be about the sale of drink, whereas the case scenario for most of us surely is giving it away for free?
It's seen as an inducement - ie a sweetener for the sale, even if the guest doesn't know about it, or doesn't even want it. The "it's a free part of the welcome pack" argument doesn't hold up. :roll: :evil:
Nemo wrote: When I go to my hairdresser I'm offered a free glass of wine (and I have no doubt he is currently breaking the law).

When you say you have no doubt he is currently breaking the law, is that because of the free drink or because he's a hairdresser........? :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It wasn't a criminal offence to cut and blow dry hair the last time I checked, but in this world who knows? If they can stifle the free press whilst ignoring the powers of the internet, then obviously anything is possible.... :roll: :lol:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'll have to change hairdressers, I just get warm milky tea!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

sue dyer wrote:I'll have to change hairdressers, I just get warm milky tea!
I trust your hairdresser has a Food Hygiene Certificate that includes the appropriate sub-clause covering insipid beverages containing perishable dairy products?
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

The price of wine and spirits has risen by twice the level of inflation recently, (our rents have not) and if that wasn't reason enough to knock it off the welcome pack list, the government and other bodies thinks it's a very good idea to slap a minimum price per unit on it to encourage us to drink less of it. As if that wasn't a bad enough idea, we may even get taken to the European courts because that great idea is probably illegal already... :?
Confused?....slurpppp...sho am I, 'hic'
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
CSE

Post by CSE »

After reading this little lot some of Europe seems quite free of regulations, thankfully.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

casasantoestevo wrote:After reading this little lot some of Europe seems quite free of regulations, thankfully.
Are you sure you're allowed to say that?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Under the human rights article whatever I am, but not in the Daily Mail! :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.