road accidents

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
aillis

road accidents

Post by aillis »

My son had his first accident a month ago an aged person ( 79 ) didn't stop at a white line and ramed him in the side , after which there is the business of exchanging "constat " but he refused claiming he was almost across the road and had right to continue. So we had the van repaired and then the garage said we had to pay and the insurrance would repay us.
So round to the insurrance for an explanation ( the problem was we were both with the same company so they thought they could call it 50/50 and raise both our premiums ) . They started off saying it was considered 50/50 so we got assertive with them and they said they would call back later. Two hours later they called and put all the blame on the other driver.

The moral is that the constat must be signed and my "learned friends from the bar" say you have to call the police if they refuse to sign.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

We had a similar situation here in Spain. My teenage daughter was knocked of her moto by a car. In this case the driver admitted liability and signed the forms which clearly showed she was in the wrong, in front of the police. The police actually filled in the form for my daughter.
The driver's insurance company then waited for the permitted three months before deciding that they didn't want to pay.
We have had to pay for the moto repair and hire a lawyer.
One year on, just as the case is due to go to court, they have agreed to pay the repair cost plus injury compensation (which we wouldn't have asked for had they repaired the moto in the first place). I'm wondering if this is just a ploy to loose the court date and have another delay! We certainly won't count the money until it's in the bank.
This just shows that even with all the paperwork signed, it doesn't necessarily all go smoothly.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

We had an accident last August when a motocyclist came round a tight corner on the wrong side of the road, luckily the rider was OK. Unfortunately it was lunchtime so the Gendarmerie wouldn't even come out.
We were looking at an 800e excess on the hire car luckily the gite owner where we were staying came and helped us out. Got the rider and his parents to sign an accident form stating it was 100% his fault.